How much to make 1000 rounds of .223 Newbie.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
40 rounds of ammo and one single 30-30 lasted me over 10 years for hunting deer.
Then that old early 1980's ammo was about gone and I bought some ammo in 2008 and it was Horrible.
Lucky to get it on 8.5x11" paper at 100 yards.
Began reloading with the lee classic loader Wack-A-Mole 3/4" groups and just scooped powder with the yellow scooper that came with it.

I went down the rabbit hole on reloading and now with 25,000 primers and more powder than those primers can shoot off I think i have just about enough supplies to last me a couple more years.

Yea you do not save money. It is like a drug. You just need to keep shooting it up.
Then you figure out you can super modify that drug and get even more enjoyment form it.

No cure.
Isn’t it amazing that despite current thinking and all the goodies a gent can buy, we actually could make ammo though slow as fk with one of those Lee loaders. Still doable for something now semi auto, like a 45/70 that you don’t shoot a lot. And needs to be minute of sheet of paper. Imagine, one scoop of powder etc…oh the horror, hell I personally have two digital powder scales, a dispenser and balance scales.

Ya’ll remember the Lee scope you could buy as a set for all does . Yep they work, reloading isn’t a lot of science for regular shooting ammo

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reloading is the worst thing you can ever do, stop reloading immediately if you care about little children and puppies and all other good things. Once you're free of it convince your friends and relatives to quit and then maybe I can find affordable primers and powder again.

I miss the good ol days when all these new reloaders just bought ammo at Walmart lol
I miss the good old days too. I used to drive to Dexter, Kansas and buy primers for $11 per 1000. That is where Powder Valley used to be located.

SPOONBILL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who here also has a wife with an itchy trigger finger? Years ago I started letting her shoot my 223 bolt rifle which she will say is hers now. Guess who has to load all of those rounds. I love every moment of loading and shooting. If I did have to pick one step that I really dont like it would be hand priming. Wears my hands out. This year I think I might finally get a bench top priming tool.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who here also has a wife with an itchy trigger finger? Years ago I started letting her shoot my 223 bolt rifle which she will say is hers now. Guess who has to load all of those rounds. I love every moment of loading and shooting. If I did have to pick one step that I really dont like it would be hand priming. Wears my hands out. This year I think I might finally get a bench top priming tool.
Thats why i prime on my press, if i use a hand primer i start getting cramps after 20 rounds.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i just do it at my leisure. I prep the brass and bag it. When I am bored ill put some together for reloading.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't forget to add your time. Time is worth money. I don't think most people do it to save money. My opinion only.
Most people don't consider their time or even know how to. And when loading something cheap like FMJ .223 or 9mm they don't realize they may be wasting their time. ESPECIALLY IF BUYING BRASS!!! I don't understand the "labor of love" mindset. I don't love loading one bit, its a chore. I'd rather be shooting or spending time with my kids! You wouldn't know this by looking at my gun room. It looks like and ammo factory.

Having said that, if the OP was about making custom loads for maximum accuracy, or other special loads impossible to buy off the shelf, then costs and this rant of mine can be ignored. But since it was asked how much to make 1000 rnds of .223 it sound like an attempt to save money..

I have a very comprehensive excel spreadsheet for reloading. I have the reloading costs complete with current component prices, shipping, tax, hazmat, even my gas sometimes. I've timed all the processes related to loading with a Dillon XL650 so I can estimate how much time is required for a required quantity of ammo.

If I'm trying to SAVE MONEY by loading, It better be a decent amount saved per hour. The way I see it, the amount saved per hour is what I'm paying myself for my labor and an hour of my life. If I'm not saving at least what I can make working overtime then I really need to consider if its worth my time.

Right now, the reloading situation just sucks and you'll have trouble saving any money loading cheap .223. I estimate $383 to make 1000 rounds of cheap 55 gr FMJ out of FREE mixed brass and making some assumption like finding powder and primers locally without shipping and hazmat fees. Any purchased brass, hazmat, or shipping ruins any savings. These numbers suck compared to pre covid prices when I was making them for $234/1000rnd. What is very interesting though is that pre-covid or current, I am still only saving $43 per hour over factory ammo. THIS ALL ASSUMES LIFE IF GOOD AND NO CRIMPED PRIMER POCKETS EVER EXISTED! Cut the hourly savings in half if you have to swage crimped primer pockets.

Attachments

• 223HandloadCostSnapshotDec2022.jpg
    223HandloadCostSnapshotDec2022.jpg
    743.9 KB · Views: 0

RustyW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't reload to save money. I reload to have ammo when I want it, not when the store decides I can purchase it. I learned back on the Clinton Era to buy cheap & stock it deep. I'm in the middle of unpacking from moving last year and I have about 3-4 more totes to unload. It's a fun hobby but not really a money saver.

Attachments

• E61593D3-1AD5-4934-BCC6-8A42F5334184.jpeg
    E61593D3-1AD5-4934-BCC6-8A42F5334184.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • A5BDEEE3-7BD8-41C6-A4BD-CBEF3CC77895.jpeg
    A5BDEEE3-7BD8-41C6-A4BD-CBEF3CC77895.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 76E4BBAE-0B5B-48EF-BA91-3FD911A681B7.jpeg
    76E4BBAE-0B5B-48EF-BA91-3FD911A681B7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • BB8140F1-563B-4540-B1E9-4F78B812C4AB.jpeg
    BB8140F1-563B-4540-B1E9-4F78B812C4AB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • A1894E6E-3F8A-42E7-903D-DF728035D487.jpeg
    A1894E6E-3F8A-42E7-903D-DF728035D487.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't forget to add your time. Time is worth money. I don't think most people do it to save money. My opinion only.
I'm retired and time is not money for me! Right now I only reload Shotshells but want to get into shooting Coyotes. Not sure if my 17 HMR is enough for a quick kill. However a lot of threads say it is as a .22. I have a 243 bolt action and an AR 223/556. Bit are good shooters. I think my 243 is a flat shooter at even at 300 yards but for a 2nd shot is slower to get another round in and get on target.
With all that being said I THINK I may want to get a reloader and go with it. I was given a REDDING .243 Die and have heard the REDDING is a better than RCBS. Any thoughts?

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gets involved in a money pit like guns and shooting and expects to save money lol.
Agree, a lot like a BOAT (Break Out Another Thousand). I wonder if there is a place I can go to get help. I own a boat (money Pit) shotguns, expense to travel to shoots, and ATA Fee's, Varmint Shooting, Travel, motels, hunting license for each state, and I also have three reloader for 20 GA 28 GA & 12 GA.

So it seems I'm hooked ... Do I need HELP? LOL!...... Oh I'm almost 72 years young am I too old to change my ways?

Latest posts

Top Bottom