How often do you sharpen mower blades, and to what extent?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never really done much for sharpening these in the past, but I guess its time since I got the yard looking pretty damn good.
Start of this season I "sharpened" it with the angle grinder trying to follow the angle that was factory. Well here we are a few months in and that sharp edge is GONE, so...how often do yall sharpen them? I bought one of those little drill sharpening doohickies and it seems to be doing pretty good, although I dont know that its any better than the angle grinder but it sure does take more time! I got one side done...and about 1/3 through the other side and the battery in my Dewalt died so will finish later.

Aaaaaaaaaaanywho...how often do you sharpen your blades, and how sharp do you go for? There's gotta be a happy medium here. I know there are surely people who sharpen between every mow, and go for razor sharp...but I'm not gonna be that guy. Maybe once a month with the angle grinder to get a "sharp" edge and call it good?

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shapen as needed, which is about every other month as the wife has a bad habit of putting on her Sons of Anarchy vest, giving me the finger, and then mowing every tree root and rock she can find at full speed.

I made her buy the last mower. Two years and two blade towers later and she still mows like a storm is about to hit.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have sandy soil and few bare spots so it dulls the blades pretty quick. Also mowing about 3 acres, sharpen blades every other time and replace at beginning of each mowing season. Sand basically sandblast them and eats the lift off them before the actual edge is wore out.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sand is the enemy of mower blades. My neighborhood is built on mostly clay, so all I'm cutting is grass. I sharpen mine at the first of the season with a couple of passes on the bench grinder, then dress the bevels with an 8" file. I'm still on the original mower blades!!

BTW, my Honda mower is on it's 16th season!

:clap3:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to store and take detailed pictures of replacement blades.
They should be angled like scissors, not like a knife.

Latest posts

Top Bottom