How often do you sharpen mower blades, and to what extent?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As said as needed, Got the MKll work sharp a bit ago and everything with an edge that I've handled has been addressed.. Hammers, pry bars, mower blades, kitchen knives, pocket knife, I'm having a grand ole time with the little tool..

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An angle grinder should do just fine. I used to use a bench grinder and just follow the slope of the blade until it is sharp. No need to make it razor sharp or spend much time on it. I only sharpen once a year, but an angle grinder is so quick you could touch it up as often as you want/need.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm really surprised no one has mentioned the need for balancing the blade is necessary after sharpening. An unbalanced blade could wreck your blade shaft bearings and or the crankshaft.
This is what I was thinking as well.

To answer the op I usually sharpen once a year at the beginning of the season and make sure they are balanced.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like others, our 4 acre yard has a lot of sand. Used to eat the lift at the back of the blades off annually.
The Bad Boy dealer talked me into fusion blades that have a hard surface treatment. Twice the price of regular blades but I’m on the third season and looks like they might make 4.
The cutting edge isn’t razor sharp but adequate for our country lawn that nobody sees.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the blade isn't balanced, it can cause significant problems with one's mower. I've seen carburetor bolts work loose with grossly unbalanced blades and thread stripped and it's pretty difficult to tap new threads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom