How often do you sharpen mower blades, and to what extent?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never really done much for sharpening these in the past, but I guess its time since I got the yard looking pretty damn good.
Start of this season I "sharpened" it with the angle grinder trying to follow the angle that was factory. Well here we are a few months in and that sharp edge is GONE, so...how often do yall sharpen them? I bought one of those little drill sharpening doohickies and it seems to be doing pretty good, although I dont know that its any better than the angle grinder but it sure does take more time! I got one side done...and about 1/3 through the other side and the battery in my Dewalt died so will finish later.

Aaaaaaaaaaanywho...how often do you sharpen your blades, and how sharp do you go for? There's gotta be a happy medium here. I know there are surely people who sharpen between every mow, and go for razor sharp...but I'm not gonna be that guy. Maybe once a month with the angle grinder to get a "sharp" edge and call it good?
Back when I was healthier and Sweetie was mowing the yard... I'd sharpen the blades once at the beginning of the season when I changed oil and greased the zerks. I raised the front of the mower with a chain hoist and used a 4" angle grinder to avoid blade removal.
:drunk2:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not more than one time anyway! Good call on taking them in. Can you keep a mower running long enough to need them sharpened? :blush:

Yes I have them both running great now. Of course the wife says I have to sell the rider now as she will not let me mow.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sharpen mine when the grass looks pulled not cut.
Angle grinder with sanding disc on it.

I have taken the torch to many of my blades and added more lift.
I have even welded up the outer edges where the sand blasts the lift wing off the blades.

I hate to buy stuff when I have a welder.

Edger blades I have made from leaf springs last 3 times longer time than store blades but they are 2x thicker :)

I do balance with the cone balancer.

The nail on the wall will only balance for weight end to end not side to side.
Nails are a bit thick also and a stiff thin wire will turn in better results.

I have tried a file and a bench grinder and it makes no difference in edge life.

I put a pretty steep angle on them and take the cutting edge many inches closer to the center of the blade also.

Fro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here. The sandy soil eats my blades from the backside. By the time I notice a difference in my cut, it’s time to replace the blade. The blades are usually still plenty sharp but the blade will only be about an inch wide with the lifted back edge eaten away. It’s the loss off the lifted back edge that affects the cut.
I usually replace my blades once or twice a year since I live rurally and nobody but us have to look at my yard and I don’t care if I have lines in the grass.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I'm not going to say how often I sharpen or replace blades, but suffice it to say less often than most here, lol. I thought I was whet stoning on the rocks and stropping them on tree roots. So you guys are saying that isn't so??

Latest posts

Top Bottom