How sharp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve used the same Gatco sharpening system for 30+ years and take all my knives down to the “extra sharp” stone, what grit that is I do not know. Kitchen and fillet knives get an 18° bevel and pocket/camp knives get a 22° bevel. I shave with a straight razor from time to time when I’m feeling manly 😬 and that I sharpen to a 5000 grit (whetstone). Everything sees the canvas then leather strop and will shave the hair off the back of my hand.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So are you asking what kind of edge to put on various knives? Or for help on how to sharpen a knife and/or where to get it done professionally? Or all of the above?
Yes, all of the above.

I understand the differences in angles and their utility, but I’m curious as to what everybody prefers.

I don’t feel like I know what I am doing when it comes to sharpening knives, as I am not seeing the results I am hoping for.

If I can’t get my lopsided edges fixed, or my knives as sharp as they should be, I would like to take them somewhere to get them professionally done. At least from there I could maintain them for a while before needing them worked over again, like my kitchen knives that have served me well every day for the past 6 years.

TWR

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I started using D2 and SV30 steels, I found out I had to go to diamond stones. So I bought a Lansky and was moderately successful.

I had a steel stashed here and there and “touched up” the edge pretty frequently because they always needed it. Then I saw a video where a guy said quit using a steel at all because it gives you a false edge that doesn’t last.

He recommended a strop after you get a good polished edge and be careful to maintain the angle when using it.

My work knife is sharper than it’s ever been and has stayed sharper longer than before. It’s D2 and with a 20 degree edge is shaving sharp.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you talking about a flapper wheel?
No, it's a paper wheel that has a real tight weave.
https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/...term=4580221844432676&utm_content=Ad group #1The difference is that there is no angle on the blade. The contour of the blade blends into the edge. 
2758447B-C3F4-4028-B601-1085C79EE3F0.jpeg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only believe in carrying dangerous weapons, and we all know there's nothing more dangerous than a dull blade, so that's what I carry,

I haven't used the Ken Onion, but I actually have a Spyderco Sharpmaker sitting on the end table next to my recliner. It's the only sharpener I've ever used where I've been able to put a decent edge on a knife. It seems to work equally well on the S35VN of my ZT, the CPM S30V of my Hogue/SIG K320A, and the VG10 of my sailor's knife.

Speaking of, it's time to break it out and bring a little bit of safety to my life...

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Generally a razor sharp blade is preferred, my pocket knife currently needs a bit of a sharpen but still cuts fine. All of my hunting or outdoors blades are stupid sharp and ready to work. I carry a ceramic and diamond sharpener with me when I go out cause I like keeping them that way.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t used them,because I can get my knives sharp enough for my needs on my stone at home, but Sharp Things okc sharpens knives. It’s $10 an edge and the clerk, Jesse, said they use a wicked edge sharpener. I’d say for $10 bucks it’s worth a try
I bought a Wicked Edge sharpener a couple years ago. It's not cheap, but it's a foolproof way to get a repeatable perfect angle every time. I have notes to tell me what angle I sharpen various knives to.

The exception to this is my Rigid folding hunter. I use a whetstone on it, as I have for decades, and it just works.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use an old Gerber sharpening steel to keep a somewhat functional edge on my SOG Twitch II Pocket Knife. It’s used for everyday stuff (opening packages, removing wire insulation and letting my wife peel fruit). For hunting, I carry a custom D2 Bob Dozier Miniature Freedom Fighter that’s only been sharpened once on a Wicked Edge Sharpening System in the last forty years. Our old kitchen knives (Ed Wusthof, Henkel, F. Dick and Forschner) sometimes get touched up with a sharpening steel and a leather strop after use. However, these good kitchen knives have been tortured too often in the dang dishwasher by my forgetful wife and the handles aren’t in good shape. I have a collection of Safe Queens that never get used, but that’s another story. The miniature Dozier Freedom Fighter (bottom of picture) has seen a lot of use over the years. I had Dozier make it to my exact specs and it came out of the shop perfect …..
1666801519427.jpeg

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, all of the above.

I understand the differences in angles and their utility, but I’m curious as to what everybody prefers.

I don’t feel like I know what I am doing when it comes to sharpening knives, as I am not seeing the results I am hoping for.

If I can’t get my lopsided edges fixed, or my knives as sharp as they should be, I would like to take them somewhere to get them professionally done. At least from there I could maintain them for a while before needing them worked over again, like my kitchen knives that have served me well every day for the past 6 years.
I use 3 different grades of stones, sometimes a flat file if the blade is damaged too badly.
The blade in the pic needed just the orange (medium grit probably 220 ish, the black one is closer to 120) until I get the angle on the blade I am looking for and the burr started to curl all to one side. Then progressed up to the oiled hard Arkansas stone (got it at midway on sale for $12) until the desired sharpness as shown.
This is just a general kitchen use knife so I dont need it to be super sharp.
It hasn’t seen a stone in a couple years (it’s not mine) so it took about 30 minutes to get this.
F8B52B34-8E12-44FA-A144-8834DB79DF31.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom