How should CCW person handle a situation like this???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ttacker-slams-ground-gas-station-Alabama.html
Let's say under two different scenarios:

1.) YOU are the person who is assaulted
2.) You witness the assault while pumping gas OR the assault is on someone you are with who went inside to get a drink

If you are one who would say you can't use CCW, let's say you are 55 and the guy is 28, OR you are 130lbs or a female and the guy is stronger, or you have a disability, etc.. Are you 'really" expected to fight the guy where he could get the upper hand and stomp your head or take your gun?

In my opinion, the moment he attacks, you should be legally allowed to draw and give verbal commands and prevent another attack by any means necessary. You should not have to square off against a stranger who may be able to kill you with bare hands and then be seen as executing an "unarmed person". Perhaps the key is what led up to the attack...if random, I know if I were on a jury that I would not expect someone to fight someone else who may be able to hurt them for the reasons mentioned above and more.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my case, I'm 70 and disabled. I carry a cane that's made of the same stuff police batons are made of, but in close quarters, it will be hard to bring it into play. I also carry a gun, but that won't come out unless there is no other way out for me.

Use caution in intervening in fights between strangers. It might not be what it appears at first glance. I think about the only instance in which I'd intervene is if there is a mass shooting and there's no ready way out for me. Since I have balance issues, I use my cane and I can't move fast, so shooting in the case of mass murder may be the best way for me to escape with my life. If it saves others, so much the better, but I carry to protect myself.

Sorry, but a nice easy answer sometimes doesn't exist.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Disparity of Force is defined as a situation that any reasonable person would conclude places you at an overwhelming disadvantage in your effort to protect yourself against immediate and serious bodily injury. Here are some examples of Disparity of Force: Large man against small man. Able bodied man against disabled man."

mavs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I would probably try to stop the attack by distraction, yelling, maybe even hitting him with a large flashlight I carry in my car, but unless I thought my life was in danger or saw him carrying a gun or knife, I would not shoot him. I'm not sure at any point that I saw in the video did I think her life was in danger.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would probably try to stop the attack by distraction, yelling, maybe even hitting him with a large flashlight I carry in my car, but unless I thought my life was in danger or saw him carrying a gun or knife, I would not shoot him. I'm not sure at any point that I saw in the video did I think her life was in danger.
My thought too, although after that suplex onto the concrete physical intervention on my part probably would have ensued, a nice water-boy style blindside tackle....but I'm also 5'11, 265lbs ex-college ball player who still goes to the gym every morning so my comfortability with hands on intervention of a guy that size is different than most.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think your safety is a given PROTECT yourself also feel if someone is trying to take one of the few things you have worked your tail off for and they want it just because they want it!! you should have the right to protect your belongings also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom