How to be a gunsmith?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mighty_Mouse

Marksman
Reaction score
To the gunsmiths out there, how do you become a gunsmith? I spent 15 years as a mechanic but i'm burned out, my passion is firearms. I've worked on and built my own stuff, stone fit 1911 slide to frame, cut crowns, fixed feeding issues, replaced internal parts. Do you have to go to one of the schools, which school is actually worth it, can you apprentice instead of schools? I've googled it but it's not clear to me, so I wanted to ask people how they did it. TIA

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Murray State Gunsmithing School and the gunsmithing school in Trinidad , Co. are the best two in the country. MSC crams a 4 year class into a 2 year class. At MSC some days are up to 12 hours long but, you learn from top experts. I took a lathe class there in 2004. We got out of class one day for a few minutes to watch them bend and reshape a wooden shotgun stock. They have various week long classes during the summers.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the schools (I think Trinidad) had an entrance exam that requires the applicants to take a billet of mild steel and a mill bastard file and carve a perfect symmetrical 1" cube.
If you are going to do bluing, you need a good head for chemistry and attention to details along with some quality equipment. These days finding parts can be quite a challenge.
I can do alot of gun repair things. I have restored and customized guns, built 15 ARs over the years, But that doesn't make me "a gunsmith"
My best guns I have done was converting Ruger Blackhawk to Bisley models, built a cool do it all scout rifle out of an Ishapore 308(orange based paint remover gel and roll up the gun parts in black plastic on a hot sunny day removes cosmoline easier, that Ishapore was caked in cosmoline.)
I have built some nice home defense shotguns, a couple very accurate varmint rifles and done lots of parts replacement and gun upgrades for friends and family, but I am still not "a gunsmith"

Latest posts

Top Bottom