How to buy a used car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always use the out the door price trick. No wiggle room, ever.

Also, sell your used car instead of trading it in. They will screw you on the value or try to mix you up with the numbers on both deals. If you must trade in your car, keep the deal separate from buying the replacement.

I’ve heard these stories but wasn’t sure about them. I bought a new truck from Jim Norton Chevrolet in BA a couple years ago. I haggled them down to a good price with incentives and rebates. Wrote a check and left.
A week later, I get a call from the sales manager telling me I didn’t qualify for a $1500 rebate and ask how I would like to pay that back. I told the manager that I had read our contract fine print that stated that if the price of the truck changes, I had the option to return it. I told him I was going to return the truck and to have a check ready for me when I got there at 4:00. He said ok. He called me later after he talked to his boss and that if I would split the difference he would do that. I said nope, I’m going to be there at 4:00. About 3:00 he called back and said they would just eat the extra costs. I told him I was coming back up there and I needed something in writing that they were not going to try and say I owe them money. He said that wasn’t necessary and the sale was considered closed.

Moral of this story is to read the paperwork! Before you buy preferentially!
And if I had traded in a used car, they would have told me that they had already sold it at auction. Another reason not to trade in a used car.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2011 F150 crew cab that has been paid off for the past 5 years.
My wife had a 2016 Lexus that we still had 3 years of payments on. We were really needing a good SUV to go back and forth to our place at Grand Lake (I keep my truck at the lake for lake jobs). We did a lot of research and finally went with........ wait for it...................
Wait for it.......................CARVANA!.
I know right. I didn't ever think I would be one to buy a vehicle online but I will tell you, it was the best car buying experience I have ever had. It took about 30 to 40 minutes online (beats 4 to 5 hours in the dealership). We traded our Lexus in and bought a 2018 Honda Pilot. I picked it up at the big Vending Machine off of the Kilpatrick Turnpike. It only took 15 minutes to sign the papers and get the keys at the vending machine. Everything was as promised and we had a full 7 days to test drive and for any reason we decided not to keep the car, they would take it back.
We will definitely use Carvana again when it is time for a another car/truck/SUV.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 2011 F150 crew cab that has been paid off for the past 5 years.
My wife had a 2016 Lexus that we still had 3 years of payments on. We were really needing a good SUV to go back and forth to our place at Grand Lake (I keep my truck at the lake for lake jobs). We did a lot of research and finally went with........ wait for it...................
Wait for it.......................CARVANA!.
I know right. I didn't ever think I would be one to buy a vehicle online but I will tell you, it was the best car buying experience I have ever had. It took about 30 to 40 minutes online (beats 4 to 5 hours in the dealership). We traded our Lexus in and bought a 2018 Honda Pilot. I picked it up at the big Vending Machine off of the Kilpatrick Turnpike. It only took 15 minutes to sign the papers and get the keys at the vending machine. Everything was as promised and we had a full 7 days to test drive and for any reason we decided not to keep the car, they would take it back.
We will definitely use Carvana again when it is time for a another car/truck/SUV.
I have heard good things about Carvana.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard good things about Carvana.

I had a friend get a car off there, wife didn't like it (not the specific car, she just didn't like the make/model/trim), and they honored their satisfaction guarantee and picked it right back up. He then ended with another car for himself around 6 weeks later (a nice 3-4 year old Frontier Pro 4x), and he's been very satisfied.

The prices are not the absolute cheapest, but they're no dicker and pretty fair. He's in Colorado so their pricing on the 4x was considerably lower than what they were asking for them in the mountains (perhaps could dig and find one cheaper in say, TX).

Latest posts

Top Bottom