how to check if a gun may be stolen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It really pisses me off that us good guys have to jump through hoops just to make sure we aren't in the wrong. It would be unbearable if there weren't the LEO types like forementioned investigator, that help cut through the BS and take care of the good guys.

How are they supposed to know you from some turd trying to find out if something has been reported stolen yet? I know the frustration, but the whole purpose of that system is to recover stolen items. If it came back stolen what would you have honestly done with it, you said it yourself that were concealing the fact that you had it in your possession to begin with?

I am currently reading some cases related to Title 21.1713, and looks like you have to make a "reasonable inquiry". It honestly looks like this is more of a guilty until you prove your innocence kind of law. From what I've read so far they imply that just asking if it is stolen may be reasonable enough, but then again you also want some way to prove that you asked. From what I've read it is always the thief or the one that knew the items were stolen that was testifying against the person who was appealing thier case, so to me that testimony is suspect to begin with. I know it was said by someone that you'd be arrested for possession of stolen property, but that just seems extreme if you are the one that brings in the item to the police station knowing that if it is in fact stolen then you are willing to give it up. I can see them getting all your info, and then maybe involving the DA, which under these circumstances would be a quick answer from him saying he wouldn't do anything about it.

ETA...I am not intending to accuse Shooter00 of intent to do something illegal. I would hope the reason he was "fibbing" about the true status of the item he had in hand was the hopes of actually getting it checked to see if it was stolen. Otherwise if he did end up finding out the item was stolen and left it at that, he would in fact be "concealing" stolen property. Whereas otherwise he would just be in possession of stolen property, which I do not honestly believe is an illegal act in and of itself. I personally believe if someone is selling an item, that I, as a law abiding citizen believing without question that I was doing business with a like minded person, it would be implied that the item was not stolen. To say by just be mere possesion of a stolen item that I am a criminal without having to prove that I knew without a doubt that said item was stolen or had any idea that it was stolen is utter BS!

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could someone set up a national data base to list the serial numbers and make of stolen guns, and the agency that took the reports number that way anyone could look up the number and check, If the gun was reported stolen then the law enforcement agency that took the report could be contacted?

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could take the gun in question and stumble down the street in front of a doughnut shop with a half empty bottle of liquor while doing your best Foster Brooks imitation, saying "I don't hic-hic-hiccup! know if it was such a goo...good idea to buy a gun from that guy in the alley....back there!"
I bet you could get the serial number run pretty quick.
(Unless the hot doughnut sign was on LOL.)

Immortal547

Marksman
Reaction score
could always have it transferred to you via FFL

I think any problems would be flagged and you wouldn't be out money (wouldn't transfer a stolen gun to you) or trying to explain how you have a stolen gun.

I didn’t know that was a thing. What do FFL typically charged for that service?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An FFL isn't going to be able to tell you if the gun is stolen. The serial number of the gun is recorded on the 4473 but that information has nothing to do with a background check and doesn't get transmitted or checked with the buyers information.

There's really no way to know without running the gun thru state and federal databases. And those databases are for official use only.

Latest posts

Top Bottom