How to make fried zucchini?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Zucchini wasn't really a favorite of ours, but we've had a lot given to us over the years.

Sweetie would mix it equal parts with yellow squash (when we had it) and stir fry it, or bread it like okra (flour & cornmeal) and fry it. FWIW, yellow crook-neck squash really helps the flavor.

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:

Zucchini & Sausage Stovetop Casserole

Ingredients

1 pound bulk pork sausage
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve long grain rice
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking it into crumbles. Drain and remove sausage from pan.
In same pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add zucchini and onion; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender. Stir in sausage, tomatoes, rice, mustard, garlic salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

I make brown or parboiled long grain rice and use diced tomatoes.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another good way to use up zucchini. Goes great with Chicken Parmesan.

Low-Carb Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake

Ingredients​

• 2 medium zucchini, cut in slices or half-moon slices
  • 2 medium yellow squash, cut in slices or half-moon slices
  • 4 T chopped fresh basil (more or less, depending on how much you like the flavor of basil)
  • 2 T thinly sliced green onion
  • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
  • 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese (see notes)
  • 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan, plus a little more for the top if desired
  • salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.

• Instructions​

1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Spray an 8" x 8" or 8" x 11" baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. (I originally used the small size, but now I prefer a slightly bigger dish.)
    2. Wash the squash and cut in slices or half-moon slices.
    3. Wash basil, spin dry or dry with paper towels and finely chop or slice. (I used a mini salad spinner (affiliate link) to dry the basil and Herb Scissors (affiliate link) to cut into thin slices.)
    4. Slice green onions.
    5. Combine the sliced squash, chopped or sliced basil, sliced green onions, dried thyme, garlic powder, 1/2 grated mozzarella and 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan and stir together until the veggies are coated with cheese and the herbs are well-distributed. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
    6. Put the mixture in the baking dish and bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes, or slightly longer. (Pierce a piece of zucchini with a fork to be sure it's mostly tender.)
    7. When the zucchini is nearly cooked through, take the casserole dish out of the oven and sprinkle over the remaining 1/2 cup of grated mozzarella, plus a little more Parmesan if desired.
    8. Put the dish back in the oven and bake 10-15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned and zucchini is fully cooked. Serve hot.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These are good too.

Baked Parmesan Zucchini Fries

Ingredients​

• 2 medium zucchini
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour (optional)
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning

• Instructions​

• Preheat the oven to 425F.
    • Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
    • Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and Italian seasoning in a small bowl.
    • Cut off the ends of the zucchini. Cut the zucchini in half and then cut into 1/2-inch wide stripes or wedges.
    • Coat the zucchini with flour, if desired. This step is optional.
    • Dip the zucchini strips into the beaten egg and shake off excess.
    • Dredge zucchini in the bread crumb mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet.
    • Repeat for all zucchini fries. Spray the top of the zucchini with cooking spray.
    • Bake zucchini fries for 22 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Turn over halfway through.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had some awhile back at a restaurant (not in these parts) and it was a hand breaded house special and it was excellent. It was sort of like panko breading, and not too thick. It was the best I've ever had. The old Boulevard buffet downtown used to have a similar breading for their fried egg plant. Dip in some jalopeno ranch dressing and you are a happy camper.

I recently came into some home grown squash and was craving that taste so fried it using just milk dip & flour and it wasn't even close to how good the other breading was.

I want advice on how to bread and fry zucchini (breading and process) so it can be closer to how delicious that stuff I had was. I am hoping to be able to use the same process for squash and egg plant too.

Thanks
I thought every self-respecting Okie knew how to make fried squash! Haha, I haven’t read the comments but I’m sure you got plenty of recipes. I just dip em in eggs/milk, coat in flour, salt and pepper and fry. Almost as good as fried okra, really close!
You ever want a good, belly-stickin meal, take Zucchini and Okra, batter them as above, start frying in a wok, cut up some taters (cut like fried taters, 1/4” thick max), and andouille 1/4” max, throw them in. Fry until you get a little crispness, dig in. You’ll thank me later…your heart may not!:hyper:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At what restaurant did this Zucchini delight happen? Maybe the recipe can be found online?

Did they have Parmesean cheese on them?

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/crispy-fried-zucchini/
No recipe, Mom & Pop place and a good burger to go with it.
I grill it! Slice long ways at about 3/4 inch thick, cover in olive oil sprinkle generously with adobe seasoning and grill hot . Do not cook until soft just until it shows good grill marking and still firm in the center. No dipping sauce required but to each his own!! Goes good with cilantro lime grilled chicken!!
Yeah I grill it sometimes too, very good that way.
Bologna slice or in sticks like French fries. Dip in milk then seasoned flour then scrambled egg then Parmesan cheese/bread crumbs. Let them dry on racks before dropping into hot oil.
I always thought you diped in egg wash first, then the flour/meal? I was lazy and just did milk and flour; I bet my squash would have been better with egg and some kick seasoning. I was more focused on the garlic sauteed shrimp I was making at the time so the squash was a quick side dish.
The wife makes a bread out of it that is the bomb, I like it sliced then toasted with butter, oh so good..
My wife also makes some great zuccini bread. Here's a tip...have her make it nbext time with Truvia for baking. It's a 50/50 blend of sugar & Truvia and so the bread is better for you. BUT the real place it shines is sweet potato casserole. We think her homade sweet potato casserole is actually better than with just plain sugar...even by brother in law who doesn't care about sugar and health stuff commented last thanksgiving that something was different and it was even better.
I thought every self-respecting Okie knew how to make fried squash! Haha, I haven’t read the comments but I’m sure you got plenty of recipes. I just dip em in eggs/milk, coat in flour, salt and pepper and fry. Almost as good as fried okra, really close!
You ever want a good, belly-stickin meal, take Zucchini and Okra, batter them as above, start frying in a wok, cut up some taters (cut like fried taters, 1/4” thick max), and andouille 1/4” max, throw them in. Fry until you get a little crispness, dig in. You’ll thank me later…your heart may not!:hyper:

What ratio do you use for the egg/milk wash?

Also, I love okra, your recipe sounds good...can you imagine having that on a cold camping night.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No recipe, Mom & Pop place and a good burger to go with it.

Yeah I grill it sometimes too, very good that way.

I always thought you diped in egg wash first, then the flour/meal? I was lazy and just did milk and flour; I bet my squash would have been better with egg and some kick seasoning. I was more focused on the garlic sauteed shrimp I was making at the time so the squash was a quick side dish.

My wife also makes some great zuccini bread. Here's a tip...have her make it nbext time with Truvia for baking. It's a 50/50 blend of sugar & Truvia and so the bread is better for you. BUT the real place it shines is sweet potato casserole. We think her homade sweet potato casserole is actually better than with just plain sugar...even by brother in law who doesn't care about sugar and health stuff commented last thanksgiving that something was different and it was even better.

What ratio do you use for the egg/milk wash?

Also, I love okra, your recipe sounds good...can you imagine having that on a cold camping night.
Yes it would be great out camping!
My egg/milk ratio, is approximately 3:1. I’m either feeding 3 or 7, depending if the kids come home. I’m totally guessing on the milk amounts and the number of eggs depends on whether they are Jumbo or small eggs, here I’m saying for smaller eggs. For 3 people, I use 3 eggs, and about 1/2 cup milk, for 7, it’s 5 eggs to just under a cup (about 4/5?). The thing to look for with the milk is mostly the thickness, I beat the eggs, then just get the milk jug and slowly pour in while stirring the mixture. It will start to thin and lighten in color, the color I look for is pale yellowish white (it’s about the color of a really old newspaper). The most important thing is the thickness, you don’t want it water thin, but also none of that ‘snotty’ texture that comes with beaten eggs. If it’s too thick, the flour will clump up and you’ll have uncooked flour. Have a slice of Zucchini ready and test it. Stop adding milk before it’s really thin and dip your slice in it. If the mixture is snotty and stringy, stir in a little more milk and try again. When it’s right, you should have a just thin coat of mixture on the slice, no ‘gooiness’.
It’s obviously easier to show than describe but that’ll give you a good idea of how I do it.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fried some yellow squash last night and am doing some more tonight, and I dip them in milk then corn meal then into the oil. I did some with flour a while back, and they didn’t turn out as good as using corn meal. :anyone:
I actually prefer yellow squash over Zucchini, but it’s all good.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grill it! Slice long ways at about 3/4 inch thick, cover in olive oil sprinkle generously with adobe seasoning and grill hot . Do not cook until soft just until it shows good grill marking and still firm in the center. No dipping sauce required but to each his own!! Goes good with cilantro lime grilled chicken!!
Grilled squash is a whole nother level dreamy goodness! I take both yellow and zucchini, cut it longways in quarters, dip em in melted butter, and salt/pepper them for the grill. I sometimes cut in 1/2” lengthways slices if I feel like having them a touch crispier, ultimately I’ll eat grilled squash anyway I can get it, it’s fantastic!

Latest posts

Top Bottom