How to Pan Fry USDA Prime Ribeye

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your steak should set out at room temp 30minutes minimum before putting it on the grill. Wrap in clear wrapping paper tightly to protect from flys.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice score! We usually get them cut. They are 19.99 a pound at about 18 oz per steak.
Back in the day I could devour an 18 oz and have room for a giant baked tater and veggi, but I don't work for a living anymore.
12 Oz is enough for me now. Nice and thick to get a good sear and an almost rare center.

Steak contests specify 1 3/8 inches thick. Contest directors must get them all cut to that thickness for all contestants. Most guys use a heat gun to measure the heat of their coals and different temp for the grills before putting the steak on to cook. Rule of thumb is 3/4 inch inside the steak it should measure 142-146 degrees in order to get medium rare. That measurement is AFTER grilling both sides. Most guys wrap them in foil right after removing them as they will cook a bit more after removal

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this guy is good!

Part 1 Ribeye Steaks SCA Contest Recipe Texas How-To by Grand Champion Harry Soo SlapYoDaddyBBQ.com

Part 2 Ribeye Steaks SCA Contest Recipe Texas How-To by Grand Champion Harry Soo SlapYoDaddyBBQ.com

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Steak contests specify 1 3/8 inches thick. Contest directors must get them all cut to that thickness for all contestants. Most guys use a heat gun to measure the heat of their coals and different temp for the grills before putting the steak on to cook. Rule of thumb is 3/4 inch inside the steak it should measure 142-146 degrees in order to get medium rare. That measurement is AFTER grilling both sides. Most guys wrap them in foil right after removing them as they will cook a bit more after removal
I don't want my center more than 128-130 degrees. Just slightly warm, but I understand the competition requirements. The judges need a baseline to compare against to see who can cook their "perfect steak".
Wife and I did the BBQ circuit for a couple of years. "fall off the bone" ribs would get a very low score. They must be tender, but still slightly attached to the bone for a little "bite" to remove the rib meat.
I still don't like ribs that the bone can just be pulled out of the rack after cooking. It's nothing but making pulled pork from ribs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom