How To Ruin A Nice Revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If welding on the frame bothers you another option would be to remove most of the trigger guard and file or mill in couple of bridle joints into the nubs of the guard that remain and fabricate and pin on a new guard as a separate piece. Done carefully and with a good color match, it would be functional and not unattractive.

If you do "fix" it, you might as well make it look like a thoughtful mod - needed a bigger loop for gloves or a heavy front to the loop that's sculpted for a finger rest.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 20 years ago a guy came into my shop with a paper bag. Inside it he had this revolver and another similar model in stainless...both were completely disassembled. If it came apart he'd taken it apart. He claimed all the parts for both guns were in the bag, said he was just trying to figure out how they worked but couldn't get them back together. He said he'd been reading about how some guy from the 50s or 60s liked to remove the trigger guard on his revolvers to make for a faster first shot. He wanted to know if I could reassemble the guns and how much I'd charge to do that.

I told him I'd reassemble the stainless gun but I wasn't going to reassemble the 442 because he'd removed the trigger guard. I didn't want him to shoot himself or someone else then blame me for giving the reassembled gun back to him. I told him I'd reassemble the other gun and the price was $50. He looked very indignant and said, "You're gonna charge me $50 just to put a gun back together?" Nope...I told him I was charging him $10 to reassemble the gun and $40 because I knew how.

He wasn't really happy but apparently wanted his gun back together. We made a deal...if all the parts for the 442 were, in fact, in the bag I'd take the gun in trade for putting the other gun back together. So, that's how I came to have this mangled revolver. It works fine...I've just held on to it for all this time because I don't feel comfortable selling it in this condition.

I've considered taking it to someone who can Tig a piece of aluminum in place and shaping it myself but don't really want to put that much $$ into it.

View attachment 346154
Ain't no gunsmith, but there are "welding" or soldering materials for aluminum alloys that are mostly zinc and aluminum. They are intended mostly for fixing potmetal castings, might work for that. Not sure how much stress the trigger guard experiences while shooting full-house loads... Dovetail the joints and file the rest to match, and use that solder to lock up the joints. Might work?

I'd like to become a gunsmith, but don't think I've got that much time left. I am a metalworking hobbyist, and I'd be willing to tackle it if you want to sell it pretty cheap. Might give me an excuse to learn to mig, too. PM me if you're interested in unloading it. I'm in Del City, though I sign as "Bill in OKC" on the metalworking boards.

Bill

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, @BillM but I think I'll just keep it. It functions perfectly so it's a good gun to keep in the shop or in an out-of-the-way spot in the house...which is what it does now.

I need to buy a torch eventually...been meaning to for a while just never got around to it. When I do, I may practice a little and then try it. Wouldn't have to be really pretty...just solid.

T-Dog

DPT 3c 89-93 - Desert Storm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang, what a waste (edit: not reall that big of a waste, more a waste on the looks) of nice gun. A say get it fixed. And thanks for the chuckle this morning on when you told him that you were charging $40 because you knew how to reassemble it, nice little dig. I would of lol'd if present.

Latest posts

Top Bottom