How to train ones self to hold steady

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll never hold totally still. Once upon a time when on good bags I could get really still but not totally. My heartbeat was the problem. Had to time the break between beats.

Watch this. It's one way to skin the cat.

The heartbeat is the problem. What are we going to do about that? The heart is often a nuisance in contemporary life.

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like to take meds unless I have to. Most times I can deal with and work around it. I think I may just need to practice and work on my breathing. I can sit and use my knees and be better still have a little movement. I have already pit in a trigger spring kit which helped alot on my trigger pull I could be trying to rush it as well as in get close to being on target and pull the trigger i dtead of taking my time and squeeze the trigger. Have not tried shooting both eyes open I am using a scope and thought about if open both eyes if can be done I may try that.

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you shoot with a sling? That'll go a long way toward steadying your dominant arm.

I don't have a sling but would love to have one on it one being able to carry it easier without worrying if I am going to jab the barrel in the ground. But what has me not doing a sling is on my model 60 the front of the stock is kinda thin from what I can measure its only half thick and don't want to the sling bolt to jab through and pinch close the mag tube.

That vid is something I will try next time I am at my pond popping turtles and snakes, I have seen vids and researched how to hold steady and one mentioned using the sling for support, but again am leary of installing the sling wrong in the front of the stock. I also don't to go to a shop to have it done I am more of a DIY person I love to do my own work, plus I don't have alot to spend right now but will have a extra pay check in aug and am thinking what gun stuff do I want to buy next, lol.

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok a little update, out of curiosity after being worn out from work and waking up sick at 6 am fri and doing nothing but laying around watching tv yesterday. I haven't really had a chance to practice holding steady. I did try something yesterday I looked up the specs on the marlin model 60 and even being just a basic 22 total weight is 5 pounds. My step daughter has winchester model 150 .22 and to me feels lighter so I held it aimed it and feel like I can hold it steady better than mine. So I think weight is playing a part of it, so I guess I just need to get use to holding a 5 pound rifle in front of me. Maybe today it won't be so hot and I can go out and see what I can do with it, try seeing where and how I can hold to get more steady, if not well guess will either deal with it or try in that video draw up to aim then fire.

I do wish I was built bigger and stronger but never the time nor energy to want to work out, I may even see if I can build something I can rest the rifle on and then let it rest on my hip see if that helps or makes it worse, I could be too not steady on my feet, I know at times trying to stand straight and still is hard for so my balance so to say could be off, if thats the case my tinnitus could be throwing off my balance. If anybody here is young, take a lesson from my younger stupid self you MUST wear hearing protection and do not listen to music either car or headphones blasting away you pay for later in a bad way.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No question, more weight will help to dampen some of the "wiggle".

More strength in your arms will help as well.

There is a method, I'm not sure I can describe it well enough here, but you kind of stick your hip out, rest your elbow (as much as possible) on your hip, extend your forearm upward and rest the rifle on your hand. So that the weight of the rifle is partially supported on your hip, through your forearm, if that makes any sense. As one instructor told me, "Bone is stronger than muscle." You may need someone to actually show you how to do this, or maybe someone here can describe it better. If done right, it is a little more like shooting from a rest... but you still won't be able to hold a rifle perfectly still, it may help though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom