How's the deer hunting in Dewey, County

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It really depends on the area. Just because of the terrain and cover in that general part of the state, you could have 1500 acres that might not be a worth a crap. Or have the right 160 acres that produces year after year. Hogs and deer are going to be drawn to the same cover for the most part, so that's a toss up on the hog interference.

Buckshot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What area is best? East/west part of county? Any ideas? The property I'm looking is ~ 1000 acres and really close to the river and covered and I mean covered with hogs. It looks like you pulled a disc through a bunch of the areas.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What area is best? East/west part of county? Any ideas? The property I'm looking is ~ 1000 acres and really close to the river and covered and I mean covered with hogs. It looks like you pulled a disc through a bunch of the areas.
If you are covered up in hogs on the river, you will probably have deer that are tough to pattern. The deer are often competing for the same food sources, once hogs move in, deer move out.

Another problem of hogs, is you will always have someone offering to help you take care of the problem. If you need any help with the hogs, just let me know.

DT Jeff

Marksman
Reaction score
"Another problem of hogs, is you will always have someone offering to help you take care of the problem. If you need any help with the hogs, just let me know.[/QUOTE]"

1+

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

If you're along the river, you'll have deer and likely good bucks. Like said above, early season buck will likely be hard to pattern due to hogs, and even possibly hog hunters. The rust though could be a different story. Since the river zig zags from the SE thru the center of the county headed west, the entire county's terrain revolves around the river and the big draws and cedar choked canyon that lead into it. There's more ag on the eastern side of the county for the most part, and then again along the north side of the river se and south of Camargo. Which side of the river will you be on?

Buckshot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
west side of the river.

If you're along the river, you'll have deer and likely good bucks. Like said above, early season buck will likely be hard to pattern due to hogs, and even possibly hog hunters. The rust though could be a different story. Since the river zig zags from the SE thru the center of the county headed west, the entire county's terrain revolves around the river and the big draws and cedar choked canyon that lead into it. There's more ag on the eastern side of the county for the most part, and then again along the north side of the river se and south of Camargo. Which side of the river will you be on?

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This buck was killed by Camargo

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-03-22-23-57.png
    Screenshot_2017-03-03-22-23-57.png
    478.9 KB · Views: 356

Latest posts

Top Bottom