Humane fish kill/cleaning??? And to bleed them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can leave them in your live-well on they way home no problem for a 20 minute ride. Just make sure you are circulating the water while on the lake and prior to leaving. If you are putting them in a bucket I would get fresh water in there prior to putting the fish in and they should still be okay as long as water temps are not 90 and its 100 outside. You can also add ice to live-well or the bucket just to cool water down some. Really it depends so much on ambient temp and water temp you are using. Today its 80 but water is still cool. June its 90 water temp and 100 outside they aren't going to last long in that.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks; didn't even think of leaving them in livewell on ride home. I have only had the boat out a few times and I go for bass mainly which I don't keep. But I am trying to learn to like fish and fallling back on my childhood and all the crappie and sandbass and such my stepdad and uncles used to catch. I m going to hopefully learn to like crappie and saugeye. So I'll need to know the rules on keeping since someone else always took care of that when I was a kid. Or like someone said the catfish lasted longer...we used to catch those and let them ride out of water from Roman Nose to Yukon and then clean them which worked out except for the occasional one that had to be put down before cleaning that was still alive.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I assume you do not care for the taste.

I grew up with a lake house and fishing men in my family. We were always having fish fries with sandbass, crappie, catfish and sometimes some perch mixed in. I guess I was a picky eater as a kid and so I would eat some but not much when we had it. I think it was a textural issue and also the "fishy" thing. My current stepdad also swears by the lateral line thing. In my journey to rediscover fish as a food source, I have been eating tuna, sardines and some salmon. In the sardine filets it is easy for me to remove the lateral line and throw some hot sauce on them and they are decent. But I want to be able to catch my own food so I am planning to start with crappie/saugeye as I know they will have the best flavor. I have never cared for bass of any kind for eating. I also want to learn to eat squirrel and other small game that are easy to harvest. It is a sign of the times...I know catfish is the most popular fish to eat in the south but I just don't like the idea of them. I'd eat them if they were all I had but I am going to start with crappie as I recall as a kid that was the one I ate the best when we had fish my family caught. LOL hope that explains it all.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Creole seasoning and lemon pepper these 2 things sprinkled on a fish fillet cooked in a skillet with NO breading just a little oil is very good.
Your crappie and the sunfish like bluegill or perch to call it other names is a very good tasting fish.
Easy to catch them.
https://www.target.com/p/tony-chach...VwR-tBh0xawvaEAQYASABEgKnh_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And the correct lemon pepper. Which is not too salty.
https://www.amazon.com/Lawrys-Lemon-Pepper-Ounce-Shakers/dp/B0025UOC8Y.

Or just salt and pepper and cook in a spoon of bacon grease.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks swampratt. I was interested in whether cooking fresh water fish with no breading would be any good. We use Tony's seasoning on chicken so I keep some on hand. I want to figure out some homemade tarter sauces too and maybe some sort of sauce like Cain's chicken sauce except to dip the fish in. I love to add Louisiana hot sauce to that when eating their chicken. I wish we had yellow perch in oklahoma...my guess is the saugeye or some walleye from Hefner would be the closest thing we could find to yellow perch meat here. They are supposed to be better than crappie even.

Also, my understanding is there is no need to mess with the lateral lines in crappie cleaning?

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hold Crappie by the lower lip and strike them behind the eyes with the back of a heavy bladed knife before filleting.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom