Humidity and your safe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are exactly right. Way to dry can and will destroy wood. I keep the wood and polymers separate. Differing storage needs. Lots of info out there on safe storage.

Now that I looked closer at the OP’s humidity numbers, I don’t think there’s any need to get them lower that 50%. Just wipe down all the metal surfaces with an oil that’s appropriate for firearms that doesn’t have a solvent that will evaporate.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
30-60% seems to be a common suggestion. I have a wireless temp/hygrometer with the sensor inside at the top of the door and the display stuck to the outside. With a single golden rod inside, I never get much over 45% and I glance at it several times a week.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Adam. Went to the site and it looks like they have 4 different kinds. How do know which one to get? My safe is pretty small. Thanks.
I bought two of them, and have them in a 48 gun safe. One might be enough, but I've had zero problems since I put them in. They are a decent size. One is probably perfectly fine for a smaller safe. I should've noted in my original post that I run these in addition to the original EvaDry. The EvaDry works well, but was just too small for my safe. Since adding in these pouches, the problems have disappeared.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All mine are inside climate control rooms with huge heat rods on floor and Damp Rid set on top shelf. Never an issue in 45yrs.

One important thing is never bolt straight to concrete. Put thick vapor barrier between then bolt. I use thick rubber mats that people use in front of work benches and such. Will stop a ton of moisture.
I used hockey pucks, until it capsized my boat on Overholtzer....

Latest posts

Top Bottom