Hummingbirds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A couple or so years ago, I was privileged to witness a feeding hummer enjoying some protein. It was a hot windless day, and the dog-pecker gnats were swarming in their big bait-ball formations. One hummer would hover just off to the side and, very clearly, pick them off, one by one. I had no idea they were carnivorous. I've since seen slow motion video of the same thing.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My in laws used to summer in Durango, they had dozens and dozens of those things around their place. Loud and cool to watch up close. They could care less how close you got to them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A couple or so years ago, I was privileged to witness a feeding hummer enjoying some protein. It was a hot windless day, and the dog-pecker gnats were swarming in their big bait-ball formations. One hummer would hover just off to the side and, very clearly, pick them off, one by one. I had no idea they were carnivorous. I've since seen slow motion video of the same thing.
Never saw that. Very cool. We have a bee hive somewhere near the house. The Hummers have to compete with the bees at the feeder. There were over a hundred honey bees in the bird bath this morning.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I swatted a bee that wouldn't leave me alone last summer in the shop about an hour later had to go elsewhere cause their buddy's come to defend them. I usually have about 4 birds at the house

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was sitting on the back deck a decade ago not paying much attention to the hummingbirds fighting at the feeder, when I heard a sound coming from one that was definitely odd. Turned out it was a Rufous male passing thru, sounded totally different than the Rubies. Stuck around for 2-3 days, then split..
General location in the state for reference? None in the Ponca City area yet. Honey bee's and wasps are thriving.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i1195.photobucket.com_albums_aa398_crayj_DSC_2212.jpg

i1195.photobucket.com_albums_aa398_crayj_DSC_2182.jpg

i1195.photobucket.com_albums_aa398_crayj_DSC_12652.jpg

i1195.photobucket.com_albums_aa398_crayj_1405821559529_dsc_0050.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom