Hummingbirds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have roughly 5 or more, can't count the little suckers too easy.. They go around the house like a racetrack, it's nothing to get buzzed if your sitting in the right spot.. Their feeding has seemed to slack up some, but I did refill the feeders yesterday..

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are a lot of fun. Wife used to feed them and we've had as many as 10 or 12 competing for the feeder at one time. Always amazed me how their wings sound like tiny lawnmowers.

I've had them fly into my shop when the doors were open and hover around the orange chain hoist. :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We started the summer with 10 give or take a few. (hard to count).
By summers end we had around 15 with the young ones being born. Haven't seen any in the last two days, so we guess they are on their migration.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had 6 or 8 last year, saw them daily for months..... then bees found one of the feeders and I had tot ale them down haven't had many this year one or two occasionally pop in. We have 3 feeders out

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Figured out that when bee's find your feeder, move it quickly from that spot. Otherwise, you'll have a bee feeder only.
Bee's identify the food source and bring all their friends.
We caught it early and just moved the feeder to the back yard and after a week, moved it right back and no bees.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Figured out that when bee's find your feeder, move it quickly from that spot. Otherwise, you'll have a bee feeder only.
Bee's identify the food source and bring all their friends.
We caught it early and just moved the feeder to the back yard and after a week, moved it right back and no bees.
One of the plastic flowers on one of our feeders broke off. The bees found the feeder, and went into the hole, and into the sugar solution. Probably killed a hundred or so bees in just a few hours. They were floating in the bottle.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife called me while I was at shop last week, told me to get home that a hummingbird had died on feeder and the others we're pecking it. I told her just get a broom and knock it off, nope get home. I get home and walk out to feeder to get it and see his little eyes look at me! Damn what's going on little fellow, he had his beak stuck in plastic flower and lots of tiny feathers gone. lol I helped him get out and he flew away. Nothing like getting stuck and your buddy's whipping your butt and you can do nothing about it.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have had more birds at our feeder this year than ever in the past. Not sure how to count the durn things seem to be a bunch of different ones. First time they actually emptied the feeder before it needed changing and they did it several times over the summer. Wife and I were trying to figure out what was different this year and the only thing we could come up with is it was a side effect of the acre of sunflowers I planted out back.

They have slowed down now only see 3 or 4 a day, sunflowers are all done and dead. Getting ready to mow them down and till the plot so it will be ready for next year.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We put out 5 feeders on the deck out back, one on each side of the house and one in front. We had dozens of hummers. They would almost swarm on the deck at times and there are always a few that want to claim a feeder as their own. Then we had that cool front come through a week or so ago and over half of them have moved on. We still have some but nothing like we had for a while.

Latest posts

Top Bottom