Hunt lease

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are hunting leases very lucrative? We just acquired 20 acres in between OKC and Cashion, on Cottonwood Creek. Been told the deer are thick there. I haven't checked it yet, but I put out a trail cam to see what's in the area.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are hunting leases very lucrative? We just acquired 20 acres in between OKC and Cashion, on Cottonwood Creek. Been told the deer are thick there. I haven't checked it yet, but I put out a trail cam to see what's in the area.
20 acres is going to be tough to get a good lease unless you can show some impressive deer on the property.
That being said, when deer are in rut, bucks can travel for miles from other properties.
So the answer to your question is what are your neighbors doing? Are they trophy hunters or meat hunters that will shoot a fork horn vs waiting on a trophy buck?
You need to get a feel of what your neighbors are doing and fall into their management programs if they have one. If not, get one started.
You need to see if any of the neighbors are into the DMAP program if you have too many does, or get the local ODW biologist involved because they have a lot of landowner information they can share and give recommendations. No charge for doing that.

JR777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20 acres is going to be tough to get a good lease unless you can show some impressive deer on the property.
That being said, when deer are in rut, bucks can travel for miles from other properties.
So the answer to your question is what are your neighbors doing? Are they trophy hunters or meat hunters that will shoot a fork horn vs waiting on a trophy buck?
You need to get a feel of what your neighbors are doing and fall into their management programs if they have one. If not, get one started.
You need to see if any of the neighbors are into the DMAP program if you have too many does, or get the local ODW biologist involved because they have a lot of landowner information they can share and give recommendations. No charge for doing that.
I don't think any of them hunt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom