Hunter bags rare antlered doe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One Oklahoma hunter was recently in for quite the surprise when he realized the antlered deer he shot was not a male, but rather a female doe.

Over the weekend, outdoorsman Chris Blades was on the prowl in Seminole County when he nabbed what he initially suspected to be “an extremely non-typical buck” that was, in fact, biologically female. Officials for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation (ODWC) have since described the doe as "the deer of a lifetime."

“Biologists say this can occur in an average of 1 [in] 10,000 does,” reps for the ODWC wrote on Facebook.

“For this reason, regulations for deer are referred to as ‘antlered’ and ‘antlerless,’ not ‘buck’ and “doe,” the department said, sharing three images of Blades’ catch in a post that has since been liked more than 2,200 times.

When contacted for comment, a spokesperson for the ODWC confirmed that Blades’ catch was a whitetail deer.

Hunting blog Big Game Logic reports that while whitetail does do not typically grow antlers, it is possible for the female to grow them “under rare circumstances,” likely due to a hormonal imbalance.

deer-1-Oklahoma-Department-of-Wildlife-Conservation-.jpg

deer-2-Oklahoma-Department-of-Wildlife-Conservation-.jpg

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/hunter-catches-deer-antlered-doe

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
That’s really cool and definitely a deer of a lifetime.
I gotta say though, it bothers the heck out of me when they say ‘catch’. I work with some guys that don’t hunt but they’ll ask me if I ‘caught’ one if they know I was in the stand the night before. My usual response is ‘yeah but I had to let it go because it wasn’t in the a slot limit’. I get the deer in the headlights look.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One Oklahoma hunter was recently in for quite the surprise when he realized the antlered deer he shot was not a male, but rather a female doe.

Over the weekend, outdoorsman Chris Blades was on the prowl in Seminole County when he nabbed what he initially suspected to be “an extremely non-typical buck” that was, in fact, biologically female. Officials for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation (ODWC) have since described the doe as "the deer of a lifetime."

“Biologists say this can occur in an average of 1 [in] 10,000 does,” reps for the ODWC wrote on Facebook.

“For this reason, regulations for deer are referred to as ‘antlered’ and ‘antlerless,’ not ‘buck’ and “doe,” the department said, sharing three images of Blades’ catch in a post that has since been liked more than 2,200 times.

When contacted for comment, a spokesperson for the ODWC confirmed that Blades’ catch was a whitetail deer.

Hunting blog Big Game Logic reports that while whitetail does do not typically grow antlers, it is possible for the female to grow them “under rare circumstances,” likely due to a hormonal imbalance.
Trophy of a lifetime with a story. What's better than that?
!
deer-1-Oklahoma-Department-of-Wildlife-Conservation-.jpg

deer-2-Oklahoma-Department-of-Wildlife-Conservation-.jpg

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/hunter-catches-deer-antlered-doe

Latest posts

Top Bottom