Hunter safety courses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to have my kid do it, how is the online compared to going to an actual class? If they just watch videos at the class, Ill just have her do it at home online.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to have my kid do it, how is the online compared to going to an actual class? If they just watch videos at the class, Ill just have her do it at home online.

Completely depends on the instructors. I've been to some where I felt so sorry for the kids sitting there, most were great though. My daughter sit through the class and it was good. My son did the online and it was good as well but I had to explain a few things here and there.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a hunter education instructor and I have taught several classes. Being on the board of directors of the Okla Youth Hunting Program I have seen the result of children taking the online HE class. I had a youth on one of the hunts who did not even know how to cycle the bolt on a bolt action rifle. He did not know how to aim the rifle nor could he tell me what type of rifle he was holding. This young man took the HE online. This scared me, to say the least. He is hunting and had no clue as to what he was doing. I ,personally, am against the online class. I know that many children may take the online class and absorb alot. That's great. In my classes the local game warden comes and talks and interacts with the youngsters. The youngsters get to handle the weapons and assist me in the class. I insert a great deal of personal experiences from 60 years of hunting too. I teach the kids how to use a compass which is not a part of the class, but is important to know IMHO. One of the children's parents were on vacation and became lost and separated from her family. She remembered being taught how to use her compass and it allowed her to reunite with her family. She made a point to tell me that the next time I saw her. I feel it is important to have a classroom setting because more human senses are used in class than online, therefore the young hunter is better trained. Many of the OYHP graduates go on to become hunters and, in some cases, guides for our organization. I agree 100% with OKIE4570.
The class is tiring at the end of the 8 hours, but very rewarding for me because I have given the children my all. I also use a few other hunters as instructors who may only bow hunt or black powder hunt. This provides a variety of different experiences which enriches their learning.
I have a saying when I train people on various topics as a part of my business. "A mind is like a parachute...........it has to be open in order to work". The OYHP, also, has a saying "Give us your child for 3 days and we will change their life forever" Hunting does that in both cases.
In my opinion, training a young hunter provides a few things for them. It allows the person to provide for his or her family high protein food. It provides a sense of accomplishment or success for the youth and it helps bond the family together.
Sorry folks, I got on another tangent tonight, but I have strong feelings about this.
Nowhere else in the world do we have the freedom to do this openly. For that you can thank a veteran. :)

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Deer Slayer has some good points. I’ll add that if you take one at the OKCGC, the kids get to shoot 22’s or shotguns at the end of the class.

Moosecoch1986

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can remember my father taking me to hunters safety when I was 10 years old around 1996. Dad wasn't a hunter but saw that I had interest in it. Its a fond memory and I still remember things they taught me in the class. It was a great weekend and when my son gets to be 10 I will take him to the in person class. I can't say I have the best memory of my childhood but that one stands out. All about making those memories with your kids.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I can remember my father taking me to hunters safety when I was 10 years old around 1996. Dad wasn't a hunter but saw that I had interest in it. Its a fond memory and I still remember things they taught me in the class. It was a great weekend and when my son gets to be 10 I will take him to the in person class. I can't say I have the best memory of my childhood but that one stands out. All about making those memories with your kids.
I remember mine clearly. It was 1977 and I was 11 years old. I retook the class with my son when he was 11. It’s another great weekend I remember well.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Both of my girls did the online route . . . my wife completed the NRA course earlier this year.

Lots of good info that allows people to complete at their own pace.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a hunter education instructor and I have taught several classes. Being on the board of directors of the Okla Youth Hunting Program I have seen the result of children taking the online HE class. I had a youth on one of the hunts who did not even know how to cycle the bolt on a bolt action rifle. He did not know how to aim the rifle nor could he tell me what type of rifle he was holding. This young man took the HE online. This scared me, to say the least. He is hunting and had no clue as to what he was doing. I ,personally, am against the online class. I know that many children may take the online class and absorb alot. That's great. In my classes the local game warden comes and talks and interacts with the youngsters. The youngsters get to handle the weapons and assist me in the class. I insert a great deal of personal experiences from 60 years of hunting too. I teach the kids how to use a compass which is not a part of the class, but is important to know IMHO. One of the children's parents were on vacation and became lost and separated from her family. She remembered being taught how to use her compass and it allowed her to reunite with her family. She made a point to tell me that the next time I saw her. I feel it is important to have a classroom setting because more human senses are used in class than online, therefore the young hunter is better trained. Many of the OYHP graduates go on to become hunters and, in some cases, guides for our organization. I agree 100% with OKIE4570.
The class is tiring at the end of the 8 hours, but very rewarding for me because I have given the children my all. I also use a few other hunters as instructors who may only bow hunt or black powder hunt. This provides a variety of different experiences which enriches their learning.
I have a saying when I train people on various topics as a part of my business. "A mind is like a parachute...........it has to be open in order to work". The OYHP, also, has a saying "Give us your child for 3 days and we will change their life forever" Hunting does that in both cases.
In my opinion, training a young hunter provides a few things for them. It allows the person to provide for his or her family high protein food. It provides a sense of accomplishment or success for the youth and it helps bond the family together.
Sorry folks, I got on another tangent tonight, but I have strong feelings about this.
Nowhere else in the world do we have the freedom to do this openly. For that you can thank a veteran. :)

Online training is great when combined with actual hands-on experiences . . . of course if a kid ONLY takes the online course and doesn't actually get mentored by another experienced hunter it won't be close to in-person training where they actually see firearms, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom