Hunting Access question for you all

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoMoreOldNo7

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just recently moved here to SW Oklahoma, been hunting all over the west for the past 20 + years and I'm used to having amble public land available to hunt on. Another concern that I have this year is since we have moved to Oklahoma my wife is interested in doing some deer hunting. The reason for moving here is that cancer forced me into retirement and my son and his family lives here so we came here to be closer to him. He has not been hunting since he moved back here and got married 6 - 7 years ago (he also grew up here until he went off to college). I've hunted all over California, Utah, Wyoming, New Mexico, some in Nevada and Arizona, access is rarely a problem. I like to hunt Deer, Elk, Antelope, Predators, Turkey and I'm highly addicted to waterfowl hunting. I'm kind of hearing that duck hunting shouldn't be a big issue and I do have a small boat, a cart, ground blind, etc. And have heard the lakes and WMA for the most part allow duck hunting. I have gained permission from a man here in town that has given me permission to hunt on his lease for the upcoming season, but it's shared with 7 other members of their group and I can't take my wife and son to hunt there. I'm assuming that the Deer hunting on the WMA's are either restricted by draw or rather crowded during gun season.

I have a little money to spend on hunting but would rather try and find some property to buy rather than spend $500 for a day hunt or $1500 - $3000 a piece for the three of us for a lease. As it stands right now I plan on hunting my friends lease by myself and hunting the WMA during archery season with my son. We applied for the special hunts through Okla Fish & Game but I'm not counting on that. I even have a blue printed 700 BDL .300 WinMag that I am considering putting up for trade for access for this season for the three of us.

I'm sure this post or posts like it have cropped up before but I need some advice from the people that hunt here regular. Is it easier than it appears to gain access without excessive fees or are the WMA's an OK place to hunt? Is it possible to buy a small chunk of hunting land? Seen some up around 100 - 160 acres and they were looking for 1k an acre (I have a little money set aside but not no 100K I'm going to drop on hunting ground. What are your suggestions or advice for me?

I want to give Oklahoma a good clean shot. So far we (the wife and I) like it here. Cost of living is reasonable, there's just about everything we need either here in town, 50 miles away in Lawton or 2 1/2 hrs to Okla City. We like the slower pace and the fact that there's not millions of my closest friends living within 50 miles of us is a very good thing. The weather is a little screwy and it's windy all the time, but we like it here. The biggest problem I have is hunting access. We'll let this summer and this upcoming hunting season determine it we grow roots here permanently.

Again guys, your input will be appreciated. I understand that some of your replies might be better off sent as a PM and not a reply back to this post. Been bitten before when good intended advice becomes public knowledge and ruins some hunting area or source or steps on someone's toes, etc.

Anyway, sorry for being long winded, thanks in advance, Frank

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most WMA don't get a whole lot of archery pressure. Gun season is the busy times on WMA. You might consider a crossbow for your wife and yourself if unable to use a compound bow. Buying land is properly out of your price range. I do believe if you keep your eyes peeled you can find a lease for 3 people in the 1000-1500/year range. At a 1000/acre to buy, you can lease for several years for less money. However you are close to Texas where Texans snatch up land in Oklahoma at an alarming rate.

Okie Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WMA's in SW OK don't get pressured near as much as the ones back in eastern OK. If hunting season comes around and that's all you have to hunt, just keep a positive attitude and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised by what you see. I see monster deer taken off of WMA's every year. I know gas is expensive, but you need to pick up a map, and get to driving. Meet some landowners on the side of the road, it goes a long way meeting them face to face. Spend a few months scouting and meeting folks and you will find an area in a county out here where you will know all the landowners and you'll have several places to hunt from. Money and giving guns away usually won't get you a great spot in my opinion. The best places I've ever hunted were free, and I've made great friends from it.

NoMoreOldNo7

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. I have already started my campaign to get out in the country and try and meet landowners, game wardens and biologists but will step up my efforts. Thanks again for the encouragement and I don't mind putting in the work.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would suggest asking the county agents (from the OSU Ag Extension offices--find them here: http://countyext2.okstate.edu/ ) in the counties where you're interested in hunting. I don't know if they'll do anything about helping you find a place to hunt, but they're likely to know the farmers and ranchers in their areas, and might know who would and wouldn't be amenable to allowing you to hunt.

Last edited:

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Also look to sandy sanders and black kettle both are not real far for public.

heck- I'll pm you, don't get discouraged about choosing sw part of the state just yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom