Hunting/Fishing and McGirt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Saw a news bit on channel 9 this morning. Was busy clocking in and doing some paperwork. Don’t remember all the details but they were covering it.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on which tribal nation.

Cherokee Nation has adopted the state wildlife laws as their own.
So has the Pawnee (I have to buy an annual license from them though)

But - would Oklahoma officials have jurisdiction on Cherokee/Creek land?

If there's in infraction who writes the ticket?

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
McGirt is only relevant in the Nations of the 5 Civilized Tribes,

The tribes have cross deputized with ODWC, so all State Game Wardens are also tribal officers, they can enforce the laws of the tribe including writing citations and making arrests within the reservations, and on tribal land within the reservation. Citations and arrests made on tribal citizens are prosecuted through tribal court.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know Pawnee isn't part of that fiasco, but they started issuing their own licenses years ago.

Apparently their stance is ODWC does not have jurisdiction on tribal land. (their tribal land is managed by BIA, so that's another can of worms).

I have to have an annual Pawnee license in addition to my state license in order to hunt on Pawnee land, even though it's family owned. (wife can hunt on it, no license of any kind required).

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tribal owned lands, tribal trusts lands, restricted lands, etc can be regulated separately by the tribe that owns it. Not much different than a person regulating their private property.

However, it is different now in some if not all of the 5 tribes involved in McGirt.

For example, Cherokee Nation adopted a mirror of the state wildlife code, so that is their tribal law, and it’s enforced within the entire reservation regardless of status of the property, tribal owned land included.

Latest posts

Top Bottom