Hunting knives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
For some reason this knife strikes me... what exactly is it?
Esee 5 and I did go with the all orange option. I've lost too many knives after dressing animals to not to.
https://www.eseeknives.com/
If you'd like one, I'll be heading past Smoky Mountain Knife Works next weekend. I can pop in and pick it up.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a small assortment of hunting knives for different operations.
All around general utility knife is an older Buck Special with a 6" blade. Used it to hack off limbs using another limb as a hammer. Thick spine for strength and good steel. Also used when hacking through the rib cage of an elk.
Skinning chores go to a McKrosky elk skinner. Caping duties go to a Mike Miller knife.
Also have a trapper set from McKrosky, never being used for anything yet, but it was so cool, I had to buy it.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a small assortment of hunting knives for different operations.
All around general utility knife is an older Buck Special with a 6" blade. Used it to hack off limbs using another limb as a hammer. Thick spine for strength and good steel. Also used when hacking through the rib cage of an elk.
Skinning chores go to a McKrosky elk skinner. Caping duties go to a Mike Miller knife.
Also have a trapper set from McKrosky, never being used for anything yet, but it was so cool, I had to buy it.
I’m like Dennis and have an assortment of knives. I have a few M. Millers, a few Menefees, 3 McCroskys, and a bunch of production knives. The one that generally gets used the most is my Spyderco Impala with a guthook. I’ve clean MANY deer and pigs with that knife.

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Esee 5 and I did go with the all orange option. I've lost too many knives after dressing animals to not to.
https://www.eseeknives.com/
If you'd like one, I'll be heading past Smoky Mountain Knife Works next weekend. I can pop in and pick it up.
Super appreciate the offer! I’m still good with what I’ve got for now, but I’m gonna tuck that information away for later.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not saying that I wouldn't like to have a really nice custom made knife but when it comes to hunting and pocket knives I've always been a buy off the rack kinda guy.

Always carried a lock blade orange Bucklite #426 while deer hunting for gutting and kept a couple Sharpfingers and a spare #426 in camp for the skinning and boning process.

Buck 426.jpg
Sharpfinger.jpg

Last edited:

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For many years used Buck knives, Kbar or Old Timer but about 10 yrs ago found Knives of Alaska. Handmade knives that are excellent and retain a edge, they are my go to today for any field dressing, skinning or butchering. The one that gets the most use has cleaned 6 deer and still retains a edge.
20211003_093508.jpg
Excellent quality for the price.

rj ︈

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well my wife heard about my need for a skinning knife and ended up with this Winkler x Case knife. It’s beautiful and I am sure this will outlast me.

It didn’t come with a sheathe so may need to figure that part out. If anyone locally makes sheathes, I’d love to chat.

Attachments

• AB9524EC-02F0-4E87-A926-56B17689A74D.jpeg
    AB9524EC-02F0-4E87-A926-56B17689A74D.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 56

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For many years used Buck knives, Kbar or Old Timer but about 10 yrs ago found Knives of Alaska. Handmade knives that are excellent and retain a edge, they are my go to today for any field dressing, skinning or butchering. The one that gets the most use has cleaned 6 deer and still retains a edge. View attachment 226196Excellent quality for the price.
KoA make great knives. I’ve got one of their Ulu’s, and I’ve skinned a lot of deer with it. It’s kind of hard to sharpen, but I figured out that I can do it with my Worksharp. :thumb:

Here’s the Spyderco Impala I mentioned earlier.
41AC4564-7D37-4BBD-9B8B-23856FA23D2D.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom