Hunting leases - land owners and hunters . . . friends or foes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can understand that perspective, but I don't know that I'd say the hunter's stance and/or the amount of effort/work he put in to be totally irrelevant (unless he's damaging the place of course). I don't know why the land owner didn't ask for payment or any of those details. 3 years of not having to pay for a hunting lease is definitely a sweet deal.

But I can also understand the hunter being upset about feeling like he's getting kicked out because he killed a big deer. Definitely seems a little fishy to me if it happened like he claims.

I just didn't quite understand why so many land owners wanted to micromanage things without what appeared to be a written agreement in place.
I say that putting up stands, cameras, and feeders is irrelevant, because the guy would do that whether he was hunting for free on that guy’s place or paying for a lease. In my opinion, unless the land owner “confiscated” his stands, cameras, and feeders, the guy isn’t ”out” anything but time.
When I hear scenarios like this, my BS meter starts to go off. I’m betting there’s way more to this story that’s not being told.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the land owner where I hunt told me to leave, I would just get my stuff and go. Its been free so no complaint from me! The relative I hunt on also hunts along with 3 of his sons so I always send them game camera pictures of the largest buck I have on camera in the event they want to hunt him (they live closer and can hunt more often). Luckily for me they have other properties that produce really good deer so I basically have the place to myself.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The lease I have with the hunters is the lease can be immediately terminated for any illegal activity with no prorated refund. If we terminate it early, the refund is prorated. The hunters have been on the property for years and are another set of eyes to help keep others off the land.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say that putting up stands, cameras, and feeders is irrelevant, because the guy would do that whether he was hunting for free on that guy’s place or paying for a lease. In my opinion, unless the land owner “confiscated” his stands, cameras, and feeders, the guy isn’t ”out” anything but time.
When I hear scenarios like this, my BS meter starts to go off. I’m betting there’s way more to this story that’s not being told.

There very well could be much more to this story, but all I know is what was posted.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunt our land alone but do have another place that belongs to a relative that I farmed for several years. Hunting rights came with the farming. Relative had tried leasing the land out for years to hunters with really bad results of a single hunter bringing friends, trash, gates left open and so on.
I rarely hunted it, as we have bigger deer on our places. Took the occasional doe, sharing some of the meat with the Uncle and Aunt. As their grandkids grew up they wanted to start hunting it for gun season only, so I bow hunted and MZ hunted it again rarely as we had bigger deer.
Pretty much don't hunt it at all now but put in food plots for the grand kids that are grown now, one of which used to be a pitcher for the OU baseball team and is now a professional scout for some team. I don't know which.
Another place I got to hunt for free back in the 90's. Widow lady that owned it said she had never seen a deer on it. I took several does from it and one buck.
I shot a buck that was the first one on my wall and showed a pic to the landowner.
Her kids took over the hunting the year after. Never show the landowner a trophy buck you shoot. Emphasize your taking does only to help with the overpopulation.

Shooterj2003

New to the site!
Reaction score
its a bit different here in NY,whereas there are a few landowners with big farms that will lease,There is also lot of state land available,some get crowded in deer season,some however are almost empty as people are basically lazy,they want to say they are hunters,but not work for the title lol.I’m older now with bad knees but not a cripple by a long shot,I will walk ,climb and crawl up mountains and still hunt swamps,I don’t use motorized things,I use my legs and if I don’t get something I love the woods,I’m a woodsman.I caretakers 1500 acres of corn and beans but except for early season it’s harvested and I prefer the woods and mountain hunting.leases because of high demand are pricey.I’m cheap! After 40 -50 years here I have out the way places to go and I know them.My club has a bit of land also and the farmers that plant the corn and soy beans here have other planting areas they lease and own ,so despite the communist / liberal political climate controlled by the cities here the hunting is pretty good with fair land available for free.I did like OK. Never got to hunt there,but great catfishing,my favorite fishing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom