Hunting out of truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There has always been ways to do it. When I broke my back in 2000, the game rangers gave me a permit to shoot from a truck. I think that is the only time I have ever done it. It really doesn't feel like hunting when you drive up on your feeder and shoot a deer that has no chance.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hunting From Motor Vehicles-

No person may harass, attempt to capture, capture, attempt to take, take, kill or attempt to kill any wildlife with the aid of any motor driven land, air or water conveyance, except a non-ambulatory person may hunt from said conveyances with a non-ambulatory or motor vehicle permit. Provided, however, nothing in this code shall prevent the use of motor-driven land or water conveyances for following dogs in the act of hunting, when use of said conveyances is restricted to public roads or waterways. Said conveyances may be used on private property for following dogs in the act of hunting with the landowner’s or occupant’s permission.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spoke with ODWC’s law Dept about this this morning. I’m not a lawyer, I recommend you call em for yourselves! My understanding is a hunter can use his/her motor driven vehicle as a deer blind(go find some trees to park next to shut off vehicle wait for game to arrive them shoot em). A hunter can not use it to spook up/ run/ look for game then shoot them. This is on private land, inside a fence. Not highway frontage or easements. Motor vehicle permits and non ambulatory permits are for hunting on public land. Again call em for yourselves, don’t take my advice I run a cash register for a living!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spoke with ODWC’s law Dept about this this morning. I’m not a lawyer, I recommend you call em for yourselves! My understanding is a hunter can use his/her motor driven vehicle as a deer blind(go find some trees to park next to shut off vehicle wait for game to arrive them shoot em). A hunter can not use it to spook up/ run/ look for game then shoot them. This is on private land, inside a fence. Not highway frontage or easements. Motor vehicle permits and non ambulatory permits are for hunting on public land. Again call em for yourselves, don’t take my advice I run a cash register for a living!!

If that is true, it must be posted in the title 800 regulations.
please post the applicable regs.
The ODW reg number is staffed by who ever answers the phone.
They do not have legal interpretation of the laws, only opinions.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't do it near a road. Honestly, i'd be afraid of this technically legal loophole ****, since it's illegal to hunt from a motorized vehicle. Game warden catches up to you and your ass is not necessarily covered.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like their is some disagreement here. One thing is for sure. The laws pertaining this are not written well in the guide book. They should certainly make it more clear one way or another.

I mean if you read the reg to the letter of the law you can't even drive around looking for any game then stalk them. By that I mean you can't drive around looking for say antelope. Spot them a quarter mile/half mile out, get out, stalk within gun/bow range and shoot it. That could be considered aid of a motor vehicle technically! We all know that scenario is legal but if you read that law to the letter! It just poorly written IMO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom