Hunting rifle barrel cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tap your scope with a shell or mag (lightly). Do that then shoot and see if it moved. Adjust and tap the scope then fire.
It may be sticking on the adjustment and when you fire it move it. IMO
I tap the scope with every adjustment I checked all screws waited for the barrel to cool between shots I shoot from a lead sled I don’t cough burp jerk of fart I been doing this for a many years it may be what Dennis mentioned it’s a wood furniture stock I have always had problems with this gun last year I had it good to go 2”s high at a 100 yards went hunting and spine shot a buck at 125 yds then heart shot a doe later at 30 yds every year it takes a almost a box of ammo to get it close I’m going to pick up a different rifle today

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
could be the recoil lug is not seated well or many other things.
I must clean my guns barrel after about 20 shots or my accuracy suffers due to copper fouling.
Just a little bit will open groups.
But I can shoot 50+ times and still stay under 1" at 100 or 2" at 200.. but no way can I stay under 1" at 200 if i do not clean.

But your description sounds like something other than a dirty barrel. Or a combo of many things.

I do not like a lead sled at all.
I feel the rifle needs to recoil naturally.
And I tested my rifles in a lead sled vs a bag and the difference is huge. Big point of impact change.
Only thing I use a lead sled for is to hold gun steady to adjust the scope or to clean the gun.

I learned the hard way shooting for accuracy and best groups in the lead sled then go hunting and hit the animal 4" off of aim point..
Try it for yourself. I have 3 guns that shift the POI from bags to lead sled.
But shooting off bags and shooting off my arm the POI stays the same.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had it good to go 2”s high at a 100 yards went hunting and spine shot a buck at 125 yds then heart shot a doe later at 30 yds every year it takes a almost a box of ammo to get it close I’m going to pick up a different rifle today

Sounds like a quick warning shot before the kill shot should do the trick.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah sorry I your right I didn’t mention that just frustrated swampratt makes a good point on the lead sled I’m going to try that

Agree. The lead sled is great to take out all movement of the gun,(i have one) but it does change the POI. When at the range, I turn it at 45 degrees and just use the front rest like I would do on my blind windows. Just a rest.
Since I heard rumors of you buying a .300 win mag, I would suggest buying a Past Magnum Recoil pad to make your range day much more enjoyable. It will feel like .243 recoil or less.
https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Plu...5&sr=8-1&keywords=past+mag+plus+recoil+shield

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice.. I would hate to use 20 rounds to get on paper with 300 win mag :)
My .308 savage I took 5 shots.
I just mounted the scope and shot it at 100 yards Did not hit paper.
shot it 1 time at 25 yards and it was way off, dialed it in and shot again. pretty close.
That is 3. then shot it at 100 yards it was high that is 4.. dialed it down a few clicks shot round #5 ..On the money.

Shot a few 3 shot groups after letting it cool off.
.210" and a .390" group. One with 42gr powder and one with 43 gr.

I wanted to shoot more another day but I did not and I went hunting with it as is ..with very clean barrel.
Bang flop on opening day 7:45 am. Public land, I had not been in the woods 30 minutes.

You need to get it out now and put some meat on the table. :)

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice.. I would hate to use 20 rounds to get on paper with 300 win mag :)
My .308 savage I took 5 shots.
I just mounted the scope and shot it at 100 yards Did not hit paper.
shot it 1 time at 25 yards and it was way off, dialed it in and shot again. pretty close.
That is 3. then shot it at 100 yards it was high that is 4.. dialed it down a few clicks shot round #5 ..On the money.

Shot a few 3 shot groups after letting it cool off.
.210" and a .390" group. One with 42gr powder and one with 43 gr.

I wanted to shoot more another day but I did not and I went hunting with it as is ..with very clean barrel.
Bang flop on opening day 7:45 am. Public land, I had not been in the woods 30 minutes.

You need to get it out now and put some meat on the table. :)
I sat all morning and didn’t see anything again not sure what’s going on other than being locked down

Latest posts

Top Bottom