Hunting Rifles - Need a new one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was always a big bore guy, then got hooked on the .243 WSSM ballistics. Really like the .308 I have but wanted something that could swack an elk or two with authority. I dread wounding an animal and not being able to find it, just a thing of mine. So, if I can go from coyotes to pigs to deer to elk with a bullet change, I will be happy. The 30-06 looks to be the best (or one of the best) all around calibers. Lots of selection on ammo and very easy to get your hands on. I really liked the .338 Win Mag from yesterday, but might be overkill for most of what I shoot. The 7mm Mag is looking like a top contender as well. Damn decisions...

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I was always a big bore guy, then got hooked on the .243 WSSM ballistics. Really like the .308 I have but wanted something that could swack an elk or two with authority. I dread wounding an animal and not being able to find it, just a thing of mine. So, if I can go from coyotes to pigs to deer to elk with a bullet change, I will be happy. The 30-06 looks to be the best (or one of the best) all around calibers. Lots of selection on ammo and very easy to get your hands on. I really liked the .338 Win Mag from yesterday, but might be overkill for most of what I shoot. The 7mm Mag is looking like a top contender as well. Damn decisions...

Don't let the ammo availability be a factor, we have the internet :)

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
BLASPHEEMER!!!!!! LOL There aren't ANY bolt action rifles I like 100%, except maybe a Steyr Scout in 7mm08. Even then its a 90% like
Have you ever seen the way Ruger's front bolt mounts in at an angle? I also do not like the lack of a recoil lug. Both make improving the accuracy of the rifle difficult.
Remington, Savage, Howa's system is better, in my opinion.
20141022_210055.jpg

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the elk angle, I would say 7mm or 30 cal...6mm/25/6.5 have all done it I bet, but maybe not as easily...the 7 and 30 cals also have light bullets (100-110 grainers) if you feel like obliterating a coyote...7/08 or 30-06 would have most available/cheapest brass for reloading and cheaper factory ammo over the magnum cartridges as well

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, if I can go from coyotes to pigs to deer to elk with a bullet change, I will be happy. The 30-06 looks to be the best (or one of the best) all around calibers. Lots of selection on ammo and very easy to get your hands on. I really liked the .338 Win Mag from yesterday, but might be overkill for most of what I shoot. The 7mm Mag is looking like a top contender as well. Damn decisions...

Attachments

• Great-Northern-Outdoors-Bullet-Comparison.jpg
    Great-Northern-Outdoors-Bullet-Comparison.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 159

Latest posts

Top Bottom