Hunting Rifles - Need a new one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you ever seen the way Ruger's front bolt mounts in at an angle? I also do not like the lack of a recoil lug. Both make improving the accuracy of the rifle difficult.
Remington, Savage, Howa's system is better, in my opinion.
20141022_210055.jpg
Are they all like that??? I have been leaning towards a Ruger American lately. I'm not interested in a Savage in any model. And not buying a Remington either(too many reported problems over the last few years)

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about the Ruger American - never even looked at one. But, I've owned lots of 77s (and Rem 700, and Win 70, and Savage 110, and Sako and Husquvarna and Brownings and ......) and of all I've owned over the last few decades a Ruger 77 in .280 Rem and one in 7x57 were the two most accurate of the bunch. I did handload then so I worked thru lots of ammo. The next most accurate was a tie between a Husquvarna mauser in .30-06 and a custom shop Remington 700 Classic in .375 H&H. All my .358s would keep the round into minute of Elks ear. The Ruger engineers designed the angular bolt to pull the action hard into the stock. Some like it - some don't, but it has stood the test of time. Remington has had lots of problems in later years. A big part of the accuracy complaints of the Ruger 77 were due to the trigger. That was primarily resolved with the introduction of the LC6 trigger several years ago. If Elk is part of the equation I would recommend not going smaller than 7mm. And a 7mm mag and .300 mag are some of my least liked rounds. A .280 or .30-06 does everything the mags do at decent hunting distances with efficiency. Again, I believe it's how you hunt and the bullet choice for most cartrfidges.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know about the Ruger American - never even looked at one. But, I've owned lots of 77s (and Rem 700, and Win 70, and Savage 110, and Sako and Husquvarna and Brownings and ......) and of all I've owned over the last few decades a Ruger 77 in .280 Rem and one in 7x57 were the two most accurate of the bunch. I did handload then so I worked thru lots of ammo. The next most accurate was a tie between a Husquvarna mauser in .30-06 and a custom shop Remington 700 Classic in .375 H&H. All my .358s would keep the round into minute of Elks ear. The Ruger engineers designed the angular bolt to pull the action hard into the stock. Some like it - some don't, but it has stood the test of time. Remington has had lots of problems in later years. A big part of the accuracy complaints of the Ruger 77 were due to the trigger. That was primarily resolved with the introduction of the LC6 trigger several years ago. If Elk is part of the equation I would recommend not going smaller than 7mm. And a 7mm mag and .300 mag are some of my least liked rounds. A .280 or .30-06 does everything the mags do at decent hunting distances with efficiency. Again, I believe it's how you hunt and the bullet choice for most cartrfidges.

Yeah I've got a safe full of Rugers, most of them from the early 80's or older. Just about the only time I reach past them for my Rem 722 in .222. The No. 1s are the only Rugers I've had any accuracy issues with and that was fixed with a paper thin washer between the forearm and barrel.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As an example of the effectiveness of the 30-06 and a Barnes 165 Grain TTSX:
the first elk I killed was at 380 yds, the round went through the front shoulder, traveled up into the bottom of the spine, dropping the elk in its tracks. Bullet was recovered under the hide of the opposite side with full weight retention and a good mushroom. I still have the bullet. If I can find it later, I'll post a pic.
Two others have been complete pass through. One at 75 yds, the other a tad over 200.

Biggs300

New to the site!
Reaction score
The rifle I've used most for hunting elk is my Browning X-Bolt 300 Win Mag, which works nicely on deer as well. My favorite all around rifle is my Ruger M77 Hawkeye 358 Win. I really like this hard-hitting caliber for large game and is easy to reload. Another option to consider is a 9.3x62 Mauser. Also a hard hitter, especially when using 286 grain bullets.

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
always need an excuse for something new..... come on guys.

308 will do it all.... keep it simple stupid is my moto.

but have to say I just LOVE my 6.8spc. Starting it 3 years ago and won't pick up anything else now. To each his own.

Last edited:

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie deer I usually use a .25-06, or a .270

Nothing wrong with your .308

If.you.want an "all around"....big deer, elk, or moose...I have all three and love them.

1. .300 H&H

2. .300 Weatherby

3. .300 Win Mag.

All three I have hunted(only a few times for Okie deer) Okie deer, Colorado elk and mule deer and Montana moose.

If and only if I ever go Grizzly or Kodiak bear...I want to use my buddy's .375 H&H.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

[email protected]

New to the site!
Reaction score
Go big 7mm-338 Lapua

Alright my fellow OSA folks, I am in need of a new hunting rifle. I have a Remington 700 in .308 and a Winchester 94 in 30-30. Black rifles in 5.56/7.62x39 and .300BLK. Looking to hunt anything in Oklahoma from Yotes to Elk, on my farm as well as Fort Sill. I am open to all information on calibers and brands. Help a fella out will ya. What would you buy if you wanted a new hunting rig?

Latest posts

Top Bottom