Hunting round closest to Federal Gold Metal Match

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So...say a guy only shot Gold Metal Match from his gun and has the opportunity to go deer hunting in Wisconsin...and doesnt really have the time to test a bunch of ammo...anybody know a load that should shoot pretty similar to Gold Metal Match 168gr (.308)?
I'll still test it...just trying to see if I can weed some options out.

Shooting from a 20" barrel, 1:11.25 twist, so would like to stick to 168gr

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot the 168 grain Sierra HPBT in my 30-06.
Over the years, I've tried dozens of different bullets, but the Sierra has became my favorite for thin skinned game.
It basically jellifies the innards of the animal shot. Rarely take more than a few steps after shooting. Classic bullet that is still relevant.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably only 200 yards. I'm probably way overthinking this...just get a quality round, zero it in and be happy.
Don't know about that. I've used the Gameking 168 grain soft point, and was very unhappy with the results. Deer ran further after being lung shot, etc.
After a couple hundred plus deer autopsies, I've learned what bullet to use and what to stay away from. There is a difference.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why not use the Federal GMM? I know some say that it's not a hunting round, but both I, and my daughters have taken mature whitetail with it.

If you are set on using another round/load, I have a load using 165 gr Hornady SST that I shoot in my 20" AR. Very accurate, and I have not lost a single deer hit with it. Most went down within yards of impact.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What bullet is the GMM loaded with? If its the Matchking 168, I have killed a whole lot of Whitetail with that slug out of a Win Mag. Performed fantastic. But thats not a 308 and your not going to be in Oklahoma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom