I am no longer a Virgin. 55

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And a Swede.

I finally shot a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser.
I picked up from @Hangfire and he tossed in some factory ammo.
I know what bad eyesight is all about blurry sights or blurry target you pick which one it will be.

I shot iron sights and off the top of my car yesterday 100°F
My first 2 I shot at 200 yards and I actually hit the paper target.
I then went to 100 yards and I figured it should get much better but one went way high and left.
Then 2 shots at 50 yards went closer to the center.

The 2 lower holes are 200 yards.
I did not move the rear sight I shot it just the way I picked it up from @Hangfire
And aimed where I thought should put some holes in paper.

Recoil was like a starting load for an 87 gr .243.
Very mild.

I am no good with iron sights at this moment but it has been decades since I used Irons on a rifle.
I did not like them so much then either.
Here is the sad target.

001.JPG

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be happy to put holes in a 100 yard target,,, firing from 200 yard distance, on a 100 degree August day. Using iron sights, aiming thru heat mirage distortion, Ain’t bad for the conditions existing. Be interested in seeing a new target, shot some cooler morning, off the bench or prone, at 100 and then 200 yards. If more ammo can be found.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@swampratt glad to hear that you like the rifle.......the money from the purchase will be given to the widow of my recently passed buddy.

If drilling and taping is not a consideration look into a no drill scope mounts which have improved through the years from when I thought about scoping one of my Swedes back in the day......most of them mount the scope way forward so you'll need a very long eye relief scope, I think they refer to them as scout scopes.

Here's just one mount I saw when I did a quick Google------> Gen 2 Swedish Mauser NDT Scout Mount Low-Profile for M38 and M96.

As good as you are about making things I'd bet that you could come up with a solid mount of some sort.

Some may say it's blasphemy but there were many thousands of surplus Swedes imported and shooter grade guns are not all that rare. If you want to you could drill and tap your rifle and bend the bolt down for a standard mount with normal scope height.

I've also seen Swedes that were drilled and tapped and had see-thru mounts on them to avoid bending the bolt but I never liked the looks of see-thru mounts and I could never get a good cheek to stock fit because of having to raise my head / cheek up off the stock.

Ponder on it for awhile.......I'm sure that you'll come up with something.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do have one Moboost gave me and he gave me brass and I have everything to make some loads up
for both of these.
Building my own mount and use existing holes will be easy. I made a picatinny rail
mount for my buddies Model 94 30-30 and it is super solid.

When I had my SKS I made a scope mount for it also.

I will look into it but first I will practice more (shoot more) with this rifle before tweaking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom