I ate bait !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One doesn't actually "eat" an oyster in the conventional sense. One simply puts the vessel in which the shimmery, slimy, quivering snot-like glob rests to one's lips, be it shell, cup, or glass and sort of "sluuurppps" the contents. It isn't really something to be chewed...liken it to trying to chew an over-boiled piece of some sort of soft rubber, or semi-gelatinous something or other. Yep, just slurp and go. The mass of the oyster digests easily enough though, once in one's digestive tract. I do believe I once consumed at least two dozen of the things once at one sitting, straight from the shell, tempered only by a drop of Tabasco, a dab of horseradish cocktail sauce and a squeeze of lemon.. Drip, dab, squeeze, sluuuuurpppp, swallow, repeat.
I chew them. On a cracker with horse radish and cocktail sauce. I had some last Sat in Hochatown at a place that was really good called "Shuck Me". My gals last name is Shuck so we had to eat there and she tried a ra oyster for the first time. She didnt hate it but said she didnt need another LOL.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
One doesn't actually "eat" an oyster in the conventional sense. One simply puts the vessel in which the shimmery, slimy, quivering snot-like glob rests to one's lips, be it shell, cup, or glass and sort of "sluuurppps" the contents. It isn't really something to be chewed...liken it to trying to chew an over-boiled piece of some sort of soft rubber, or semi-gelatinous something or other. Yep, just slurp and go. The mass of the oyster digests easily enough though, once in one's digestive tract. I do believe I once consumed at least two dozen of the things once at one sitting, straight from the shell, tempered only by a drop of Tabasco, a dab of horseradish cocktail sauce and a squeeze of lemon.. Drip, dab, squeeze, sluuuuurpppp, swallow, repeat.

:puke:

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yeahhhhh.... I'll pass. If you saw that mass sitting on the sidewalk, you'd walk around it thinking some dog got sick. Instead, you eat it. No thanks.

I hear a plate of liver and onions calling me.

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeahhhhh.... I'll pass. ... I hear a plate of liver and onions calling me.

Now that lover and onions...that's some nasty stuff right there. I'd be hard pressed to chow down on that.

My sentiments EXACTLY.

Besides, what's the sense of "eating" something where you don't get the taste of it. Sounds like druryj had enough other stuff in that mixture that he never tasted the oyster.

Oh you get the taste alright; kind of a metallic, salty, low-tide smell sort of flavor thing going on there.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some friends had some raw oysters once, before leaving one of them put an oyster in a little cup of cocktail sauce with a lid. They went to some more friends house. People in the house were eating supper. Guy with oyster starts coughing, while holding the cup hidden in his hands, over his mouth. Coughs louder and louder and finally leans over the table, makes a horrible hacking sound and dumps the oyster on the table. Then his buddy, says, "Hey, that looks good enough to eat", picks it up and eats it. People in the house did not see the humor!

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like oysters Rockafeller, and liver and onions.
My fiancee told me that she ate salmon roe bait. Said it looked like caviar and might be the same thing........... Nope!
:hellno:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Craw fish etouffee is excellent as well!! Just hard to find fresh craw fish in OKC!!

I used to catch a bunch as a kid. You’ll find them in about every creek or mud hole. They’re everywhere. That’s why I don’t eat them. Them thangs stank. Definitely fish bait.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If'n that's your'n post up the recipe, sir!
Ingredients
  • 1 stick butter
  • 2 yellow onions chopped
  • 2 stalks celery chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper chopped
  • 1 poblano pepper roasted and chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves minced
  • 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • ¼ cup white wine
  • 2 lbs. large red shrimp peeled, deveined and thawed if frozen
  • Rice or bread for serving
Instructions
  1. In 12-inch cast iron skillet or stew pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the onions, celery, bell pepper, poblano peppers and garlic. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned.

2. Sprinkle in the flour and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Stir in the chicken broth, wine and shrimp. Cook for 15 minutes or until the shrimp turn a pink opaque color, stirring occasionally. Serve warm over rice or bread.
  4. Tip: To roast a pepper, place it over a flame until it blisters and evenly chars, rotating frequently. Place the pepper in plastic bag with 1 tablespoon of cold water and seal. Let set for a few minutes. Remove the pepper from the bag and peel off the outer skin. The steam helps release the skin easier.
Cowboy Kent Rollins is where I got the recipe, he has a youtube channel that keeps me trying new dishes all the time!!

Huevos rancheros and refried beans were the last 2 recipes of his I have tried and both together were good eating!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom