I bet they were glad to have it

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stole this from a post on another site.

The post below reminded me of this.
I know a fellow with a Model T with the floorboard charcoal heater.
My Grandma and Grandpa had a 27 Model T and they said they would put a kerosene lantern on the floor and throw a blanket over their legs.
They never drove themselves but one of their 8 kids would drive them.
Grandpa was born in 1882 and Grandma in 1894.
My dad said if was really cold, they would drain the oil at night and put it near the fireplace all night and also boil water to put in the radiator.
If it was REALLY cold, they would put kerosene in the radiator to go somewhere as water would freeze going down the road since there was no water pump.
Richard in NW SC

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It brought up my memories of going to visit my great grandparents. They had a water well in their house in a corner of the house.

They had a screened in section on the house for sitting in the summer. He would put plastic over the screen in the winter to keep the heat in. That room had a wood heater and it would roast you alive in there in the winter. My great grandpa would smoke prince albert in a pipe and with the smoke and heat of the wood heater it was a short visit.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
T spinning a water pump :)

1644682429921.png

1644682450275.png

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stole this from a post on another site.

The post below reminded me of this.
I know a fellow with a Model T with the floorboard charcoal heater.
My Grandma and Grandpa had a 27 Model T and they said they would put a kerosene lantern on the floor and throw a blanket over their legs.
They never drove themselves but one of their 8 kids would drive them.
Grandpa was born in 1882 and Grandma in 1894.
My dad said if was really cold, they would drain the oil at night and put it near the fireplace all night and also boil water to put in the radiator.
If it was REALLY cold, they would put kerosene in the radiator to go somewhere as water would freeze going down the road since there was no water pump.
Richard in NW SC
Not intending to poop on your thread but just to add about preparedness.
In stories from my family, the old folks KNEW how much trouble traveling was in bad weather (they didn't have 4 wheel drive or a motorcycle with a car tire on it, LOL) and avoided it if possible. They didn't wait until there was a few inches of ice and snow, still coming down and suddenly announce "I just HAVE to go to Walmart!"
Not familiar with the Ford Model T but I had one ancestor who told about driving across rough terrain in a Model A (good ground clearance) and using the battery (6 volt I think) to help a neighbor set off those newfangled electric blasting caps.
The Model A battery was underneath the passenger seat, I think he said? (Heard the story a long time ago.)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep under the driver seat foot area.
And it was a Negative ground.
If you are chasing electrical issues and do not know it was positive ground you will be wondering why
every thing tests hot that should be ground. :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep under the driver seat foot area.
And it was a Negative ground.
If you are chasing electrical issues and do not know it was positive ground you will be wondering why
every thing tests hot that should be ground. :)
My 55 ford customline was negative ground. My 58 was positive ground so that is the Ford timeline for conversion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom