I did everything right except this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, funny story with a good ending. Tonight the wife, step-son and I were coming home from running around town, was less than a block away and I got lit up by BAPD. This was only my 3rd weekend to have my SDA license and carrying, so my heart was doing its best jackhammer impersonation. Officer comes up, tells me my tag was up in June of last year. At this point I was like "What the hell, I know I did my tags last year". I told him it must have gotten stolen and he replied he checked in the system and it was up last year. So I hand over both licenses, tell him I have my firearm on me and give him my insurance card. A minute later he comes back, tells me he made a mistake and my tag is up to date, he just saw when I renewed it and thought it was the expiration. He agreed it either fell off or was taken and told us to get it corrected by monday. He chatted for a second about how here soon my SDA license won't be needed but that I did everything correctly.

So, got home and found out I did do one mistake, I forgot to put the sticker on when I renewed the tags last year, it was still sitting in the glove box lol.

Last edited:

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember to let the outside temp warm up to around 50 before you apply that tag sticker. Also a good idea to pre-heat the sticker a little. A computer modem or some mild temp works.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not the first story I’ve heard about the ‘license’ working in the favor of a holder. I still believe that the extra card you hand an officer will tell him/her that they are dealing with a person that has passed an extensive background check.
Nah, they still ticket me. I have a lead foot.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember to let the outside temp warm up to around 50 before you apply that tag sticker. Also a good idea to pre-heat the sticker a little. A computer modem or some mild temp works.

Huh, never heard that advice before. But, the sticker was in the glove box (pretty toasty in there) and it was in my garage was still in the 50's from today. I did wash the area of the plate with a paper towel and some warm water then dried it. Oh well, only has to last til june lol

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got stopped by a Oklahoma Highway Patrolman in Pottawatomie County on the Indian Nations Turnpike when the Concealed Handgun Licenses were new. He didn't want to hear anything I had to say until I was sitting in his car. I handed him my license and my CHL.
"What's this?" he asked.
"That's my handgun license," says I.
"Are you carrying your gun now?" He frowns.
"Yes, sir," I reply, a bit concerned.
"What are you carrying?"
"Smith & Wesson Model 13."
"Good choice," he says as he continues to write my speeding ticket.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was really nervous my fist time being stopped after getting my handgun license too; I've been stopped 3 times now, each time the officer's reaction was pleasant, acted like it was no big deal. I just got a verbal warning each time too, not sure if the CHL had anything to do with not getting a ticket or not.

One of them was a TX highway patrol, I told him have a CHL and I've got my pistol on me, he said, "no problem, just don't pull it out when I'm talking to ya".

Latest posts

Top Bottom