I did it, I am officially into predatory hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After seeing a lot of coyotes while deer hunting (my brother saw 11 one day), I figured I need to thin out the yotes on my place. That is probably where all the turkeys have gone. I have no idea how to hunt them but just ordered a LuckDuck e-call out of Rogers. I self taught myself to turkey hunt so figure I could do the same with coyotes.

Is this a you have to be there at butt crack early deal or can you hunt them anytime during the day? How far should I expect them to get for shots? Is a .270 too big of a caliber? I was wanting to get them after duck season, is Feb a good month to go? If not, when is best?

Tell me what I need to know. I have not idea what I am doing so any advice would be great.

CanadianRiverRat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kill all of them you can get a sight pic on.....short of hunting them with megaton thermonuclear devices, you'll NEVER eradicate the bastages! They survived set-guns, poison bait, Gov. trappers and paid bounty at the courthouse as well as shooting from horseback and helo.
Quick tip, roadkill deer carcasses are fine bait piles to shoot 'yotes over.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After seeing a lot of coyotes while deer hunting (my brother saw 11 one day), I figured I need to thin out the yotes on my place. That is probably where all the turkeys have gone. I have no idea how to hunt them but just ordered a LuckDuck e-call out of Rogers. I self taught myself to turkey hunt so figure I could do the same with coyotes.

Is this a you have to be there at butt crack early deal or can you hunt them anytime during the day? How far should I expect them to get for shots? Is a .270 too big of a caliber? I was wanting to get them after duck season, is Feb a good month to go? If not, when is best?

Tell me what I need to know. I have not idea what I am doing so any advice would be great.
I’m looking to basically do the same thing you are, and from recent experience, coyotes absolutely hates getting shot with a 150 gr SST out of a pre64 Winchester M70 270 Win.

I’ve been on the lookout for a 243 for a dedicated coyote rifle, but I’ve about talked myself into just using my 270 that I know works.

edit to add that I‘ve thought about using a 17hmr AR on coyotes, but the couple that I shot were less that satisfying because no fur flew on impact.

My recent encounters have just been random and accidental, but I intend to break out the FoxPro after the first of the year. The ones I’ve seen recently were mid morning, but I’ve happened up on them all during the day. If Oklahoma would move out of the stone ages and allow rifles and thermals for coyotes, I’d be inclined to hunt at night even though I really appreciate sleep. The vast majority of coyotes I get on camera are at night.

Good luck to you in the venture! :thumb:

Last edited:

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been playing this game since I was 14 & I'll be 45 in January. Started with a 22mag marlin 883ss & a Johnny Stewart rabbit distress cassette

I've had custom rifles built ( 25-06AI ) ran 220 swift, 243 ,22-250, 221 fireball & tons of 223 , I've settled on 223 & carry a 9mm pistol for 50 yards & under shots

Had all the electronic calls & built mouth calls. You can make it as complicated or as simple as you want.

Here's my boys first bobcat I called for him when he was 12 , rifles a savage 111 .223 used 62gr brown bear sp back when you could find them
Attachment_01.JPG

Last edited:

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m the opposite, I don’t bother them anymore. The ones I’ve got don’t bother my cows, but they are that many more mouths to work at catching rodents. Same with non venomous snakes. I used to kill every snake I saw, now I try to keep them around to displace food for the venomous ones.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m the opposite, I don’t bother them anymore. The ones I’ve got don’t bother my cows, but they are that many more mouths to work at catching rodents. Same with non venomous snakes. I used to kill every snake I saw, now I try to keep them around to displace food for the venomous ones.

Yes!

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neighbor found this poor guy November 26 on my place while out on his walk.

25107CF6-8325-41A2-814F-65BC4BA7F1CF.jpeg

I did a half assed look for a sign of a arrow wound, but nothing jumped out at me.

Thinking we have a coyote problem in my neck of the woods!

Used to be I'd hear them yippin once in a while, now it seems to be almost every night.

We tried hunting them in the past, but never had any luck.

I have yet to see one while in the stand.

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Btw, you can hunt them from daylight to dusk. Make as many stands as you can or want through the day. I try to call them out of brushy stuff during the day, call more open stuff early and late. Get on a vantage point and keep something at your back to break up your outline. Above all else, try to sit still. If there are more than 1 of you at a stand, one of you needs a shotgun. You’ll believe me later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom