I did it, I am officially into predatory hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kill all of them you can get a sight pic on.....short of hunting them with megaton thermonuclear devices, you'll NEVER eradicate the bastages! They survived set-guns, poison bait, Gov. trappers and paid bounty at the courthouse as well as shooting from horseback and helo.
Quick tip, roadkill deer carcasses are fine bait piles to shoot 'yotes over.
In the 70's, they got a guy up in a plane for a spotter on the Cimarron River and had CBs to the ground units with dogs. They would let the dogs go and the coyotes never had a chance.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the 70's, they got a guy up in a plane for a spotter on the Cimarron River and had CBs to the ground units with dogs. They would let the dogs go and the coyotes never had a chance.
When my family quail hunted southern Alfalfa county in the late 70’s and early 80’s, meeting up with the coyote hunters was the highlight of the trip for me. Those guys were serious. Their dog boxes had remote switches inside the cab of the truck to open them, so they barely had to slow the truck to release the greyhounds. One catch we got to see that I’ll never forget was when the greyhounds chased a coyote into an old dilapidated barn and almost torn it down trying to get to him.
I have no idea if people still hunt them like that or not. I would guess not, since I’m sure all that land is now probably leased up as private deer leases.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my family quail hunted southern Alfalfa county in the late 70’s and early 80’s, meeting up with the coyote hunters was the highlight of the trip for me. Those guys were serious. Their dog boxes had remote switches inside the cab of the truck to open them, so they barely had to slow the truck to release the greyhounds. One catch we got to see that I’ll never forget was when the greyhounds chased a coyote into an old dilapidated barn and almost torn it down trying to get to him.
I have no idea if people still hunt them like that or not. I would guess not, since I’m sure all that land is now probably leased up as private deer leases.
A guy we pheasant hunt does that in Kansas on his land. I have never watched but he said it is quite a site to watch. At times he gets dogs messed up to a hard hit on a fence or to a coyote.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I’m looking to basically do the same thing you are, and from recent experience, coyotes absolutely hates getting shot with a 150 gr SST out of a pre64 Winchester M70 270 Win.

I’ve been on the lookout for a 243 for a dedicated coyote rifle, but I’ve about talked myself into just using my 270 that I know works.

edit to add that I‘ve thought about using a 17hmr AR on coyotes, but the couple that I shot were less that satisfying because no fur flew on impact.

My recent encounters have just been random and accidental, but I intend to break out the FoxPro after the first of the year. The ones I’ve seen recently were mid morning, but I’ve happened up on them all during the day. If Oklahoma would move out of the stone ages and allow rifles and thermals for coyotes, I’d be inclined to hunt at night even though I really appreciate sleep. The vast majority of coyotes I get on camera are at night.

Good luck to you in the venture! :thumb:
You need a .204 AR...... :)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
A few do, they're not very highly thought of. Tear up lots of fields, fences.......

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are still out there. I've seen truck tracks across our place where they came looking for their dogs or the kill before gates were put up. Confirmed when I took a guy coyote calling on one of our places after moving to a new job. He commented he had seen the place before. He had one of those dog boxes in the back of his work truck. That was in the 90's?
New trespass laws are in effect since then, making it a more serious offense. Not enough in my opinion but it's more expensive for trespassers.
It has appeared to cut down the coon hunters that ran their dogs through our property and the neighbors as well.
Buddy and I used his call and decoy the other day to make some sets having no success. Other hunts we get one or two. That's hunting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom