I did it, I am officially into predatory hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I considered starting a thread on the Agricultural Exemption Permit relative to my situation. As noted above, the new law includes: "Landowners or agricultural lessees performing nuisance control activities shall be required to have a current agricultural exemption permit issued by the Oklahoma Tax Commission."

I have roughly a quarter section in McIntosh County, I plan to use just for hunting. I'm letting one of my neighbors bale as much of the meadow areas as he can to feed his cattle. In return, he'll mow around the barn and keep the trails clean. Plus, the mowing will help control saplings (Black Locust and Pecan).

Quandary: I'm not going to be making money on the land. I could argue hogs are tearing up the meadows, thus harming land value, and diminishing the hay used as a barter. Could anyone get an agriculture exemption permit with a story like that?

As an out of state resident (or even if I lived there), I'd have to buy a hunting license to help protect neighbors' calves (and regional fawns) from coyotes. For hogs, nothing is required except Feral Hog Night Shooting Exemption and the agriculture exemption permit. I should call the Tax Dept someday to see if I can get some coaching. But, I'd appreciate any I can get from this group :-)

I suppose the chance of getting a ticket for shooting hogs at night on my own land is close to zero, but I want to be legal.
I do believe in your situation your neighbor that is doing the Ag on the property hopefully already has the tax exemption and then could be your Ag lessee and they would be facilitating and/or giving permission to do the control work.

Okvet03

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dad taught me a blade of grass between my thumbs and blow on it. It sounds like a dying rabbit. I have killed a lot of coyotes that way.

I just found a youtube on the same thing dad showed me.

I'm not sure about coyotes but that video called my Great Pyrenees right in. He had his ears up and ready.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure about coyotes but that video called my Great Pyrenees right in. He had his ears up and ready.

I called the neighbors Great Pyrenees mix in last year.

Dogs, cows, horses/burros, turkeys. I've had all of that & more. When something sets up a fuss everyone wants to come have a look. Like rubberneckers on the highway gawking at a wreck.

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the first times I ever tried calling predators, I called up a mule deer buck on my first stand and 2 cowboys on horseback on my second stand. 🤣 yes, I let ‘em all walk. When 2 guys on horseback come roaring in on you while calling, it’s a little unsettling. I learned to sit where I had a better vantage point after that.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the first times I ever tried calling predators, I called up a mule deer buck on my first stand and 2 cowboys on horseback on my second stand. 🤣 yes, I let ‘em all walk. When 2 guys on horseback come roaring in on you while calling, it’s a little unsettling. I learned to sit where I had a better vantage point after that.

Now that's funny.

Those are 2 things I've never had come to the call.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first time I ever tried calling coyotes was when I was young. I was hunting at night under a full moon. I was using a hand call. I sat down behind a two foot or so in dia. fallen tree trunk in an open field. I had called for less than a minute when I noticed a couple dark figures emerging out of the moonlight. Before I could even get the shotgun to my shoulder, they both jumped straight over the top of me at a full sprint and were gone just as fast.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do believe in your situation your neighbor that is doing the Ag on the property hopefully already has the tax exemption and then could be your Ag lessee and they would be facilitating and/or giving permission to do the control work.
So does a control agent have to possess an Okla. hunting license?

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My new call arrived earlier today from Rogers. A word of advice for my fellow hunters, don't try a new coyote call of a screaming rabbit when your wife is taking a nap. That did not end well.......
I’m starting to better understand your screen name now. That’s hilarious!

Latest posts

Top Bottom