I did not shoot the dog, but probably should have.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B1rd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
While walking up to one of my rental houses in a nice neighborhood a very large dog came jogging up to me barking while paying no attention to his owner two houses away. I played like a statue while the dog ran towards me (not at full speed, saved his life). He got really close and scared the heck out of me. He did not respond at all to the owner. The owner kind of chuckled when he got close. I said "I hope you're having a good time because I am not". He got a little apologetic at that point, he actually had to grab the dog to get him to go back home. I did not move until he had his collar. After doing my stuff at the house I drove back past the guys house and told him how nice I had been. I told him I carry a gun. He really thanked me for not shooting. If the dog was going to attack I waited too long. The only thing that saved him was he was not running full speed at me, still probably not smart on my part. Dog was like 200 pounds. Guess I should have at least had the gun out. Would have freaked the owner, not un-like I was freaked.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While walking up to one of my rental houses in a nice neighborhood a very large dog came jogging up to me barking while paying no attention to his owner two houses away. I played like a statue while the dog ran towards me (not at full speed, saved his life). He got really close and scared the heck out of me. He did not respond at all to the owner. The owner kind of chuckled when he got close. I said "I hope you're having a good time because I am not". He got a little apologetic at that point, he actually had to grab the dog to get him to go back home. I did not move until he had his collar. After doing my stuff at the house I drove back past the guys house and told him how nice I had been. I told him I carry a gun. He really thanked me for not shooting. If the dog was going to attack I waited too long. The only thing that saved him was he was not running full speed at me, still probably not smart on my part. Dog was like 200 pounds. Guess I should have at least had the gun out. Would have freaked the owner, not un-like I was freaked.

Glad you weren't attacked. I don't see anything wrong with shooting if dog did attack, however I see no reason to tell the owner about your gun and being "nice" for not using it. IMHO.

B1rd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you weren't attacked. I don't see anything wrong with shooting if dog did attack, however I see no reason to tell the owner about your gun and being "nice" for not using it. IMHO.

I thought long and hard before talking to him. My reason was so he would think twice about having the dog out unleashed. I wanted him to know that he almost lost his dog.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought long and hard before talking to him. My reason was so he would think twice about having the dog out unleashed. I wanted him to know that he almost lost his dog.

Possibly in his mind, you just threatened to shoot his dog that was just playing. If anything, you should have called animal control to document the unrestrained/unleashed canine. Later down the road if you did have to defend yourself against the dog, the previous issue was documented and the owner can't say "he threatened to shoot him before!"

B1rd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Possibly in his mind, you just threatened to shoot his dog that was just playing. If anything, you should have called animal control to document the unrestrained/unleashed canine. Later down the road if you did have to defend yourself against the dog, the previous issue was documented and the owner can't say "he threatened to shoot him before!"

Calling Animal Control was a good idea. When I drove past his house to talk to him the dog came again, I was in a smallish convertible with top down, I had to roll up the windows. He did thank me in such a way that he was relieved and thankful that I did not do anything. I did not threaten just told him that I was armed, he got the hint, that I had done him a favor. Next time I will make the call, probably should have had the gun out too. Just did not think they dog would actually do anything, and I was right, but still could have gone the other way.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After doing my stuff at the house I drove back past the guys house and told him how nice I had been. I told him I carry a gun. He really thanked me for not shooting. If the dog was going to attack I waited too long. The only thing that saved him was he was not running full speed at me, still probably not smart on my part. Dog was like 200 pounds. Guess I should have at least had the gun out. Would have freaked the owner, not un-like I was freaked.

I did not threaten just told him that I was armed, he got the hint, that I had done him a favor. Next time I will make the call, probably should have had the gun out too. Just did not think they dog would actually do anything, and I was right, but still could have gone the other way.

You missed the other angle where you stopped by after in all of your righteous indignation to tell him you have a gun and you did him a favor by not killing his beloved dog for no credible reason other than you were frightened. He tells you that you had better find cover if you shoot his dog because that's when the gun fight would have started.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Call animal control, I am 99% sure that the counties broken arrow occupies have laws to address dog at large issues. Particularly if the portion of BA the rental is in falls inside Tulsa County.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=64738

so, is it legal to shoot a dog in the city to defend yourself?

Can you reasonably articulate a fear of great bodily harm or death? I don't think you will get away with popping a Chihuahua, but as I have recently been witness too a single bite from a medium breed dog can do a horrific amount of damage to a person. In the OP's case a 200lb dog at large galloping towards me is gonna get lead if it doesn't immediately respond to it's owner. I'm not taking that chance.

B1rd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You missed the other angle where you stopped by after in all of your righteous indignation to tell him you have a gun and you did him a favor by not killing his beloved dog for no credible reason other than you were frightened. He tells you that you had better find cover if you shoot his dog because that's when the gun fight would have started.

So when a two hundred pound dog comes running at you and is not heeding his masters yells to stop I am just supposed to stand there (I actually did that, but felt I should not have)? Tell that to the off duty cop that shot a dog in Tulsa recently.

I was not, indignant I was actually letting him know in a friendly way that his dog escaped and he should keep the dog on a leash if it is outside the fence. I have tenants moving in next week that have young kids, I bet they agree.

I believe you are the pompous one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom