I did not shoot the dog, but probably should have.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B1rd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you probably should have killed the dog for what? Approaching you? Being big?
Was the dog black?
Was it a pit bull?
Additionally, I don't understand how/why you walked to the rent house but drove back.
Do you store a car in the garage of your rent property?
Not a big deal, that just stuck out as strange in your story.

I drove to the house to unlock it, I had to actually walk to the door to unlock the door. The dog was very large, he did not have his ears back and I did not pull a gun. So I guess I did that correctly.... Dog was gray or maybe grey and very large.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
so, is it legal to shoot a dog in the city to defend yourself?

This may be a little late on the conversation, but with my experience in my present/soon to be previous job with animal welfare, I do believe I have a bit of insight on this subject.

First, It is something completely understood, but I feel obligated to state the obvious... That is to know your target and what lies behind it, you don't want to shoot at a dog and hit the kid running behind it trying to catch it. Also, discharging a firearm is a misdemeanor within city limits in most municipalities.
According to Oklahoma State Statute "1685 Cruelty to animal" it is unlawful to:

...willfully or maliciously overdrive, overload, torture, destroy or kill, or cruelly beat or injure, maim or mutilate, any animal in subjugation or captivity, whether wild or tame, and whether belonging to himself or to another........

I know for a fact that Oklahoma City Ordinance Chapter 8, which deals with animals, has similar wording. In plain English, whether the animal is yours or mine, it is unlawful, even a state Felony, to willfully or maliciously destroy, kill, maim, injure, or mutilate an animal. Notice willfully and or maliciously. In other words if my 4lb chihuahua is running up on you wagging his tail and not showing aggression, then gunning that sucker down in the street would be considered unjustified. If my 80lb bully breed pit bull is running up on you with his ears pinned back, teeth out, and growling, you are fully within your rights to discharge your firearm in the protection of yourself, another person, and your livestock.

However, I am not an attorney, I cannot give legal advice. I would suggest that you do a little research on your own if needed. Every case is different, and can be interpreted by LEO's differently based upon experience and knowledge. I can elaborate more if you want.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Every case is different, and can be interpreted by LEO's differently based upon experience and knowledge."

That is the smartest ..and first post!!!!...Congrats...
Lookout ....They will be after you... ;)

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
bettingpython said:
Can you reasonably articulate a fear of great bodily harm or death?
FYI, legally there is no requirement that you have a reasonable fear of death or SBI to shoot a dog, or any other critter. That requirement is just for them 2-legged varmints. But you better have at least some reasonable basis for thinking you were in danger of personal injury or property damage, or you might be looking at charges for malicious destruction of property, discharging a firearm in city limits, reckless endangerment, animal cruelty, and/or a civil judgment for trespass to chattels. Even if you or your property were legitimately in danger, you could still face charges if you go about it in a stupid or risky way. All this is highly dependent on your career, of course. :rolleyes2

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI, legally there is no requirement that you have a reasonable fear of death or SBI to shoot a dog, or any other critter. That requirement is just for them 2-legged varmints. But you better have at least some reasonable basis for thinking you were in danger of personal injury or property damage, or you might be looking at charges for malicious destruction of property, discharging a firearm in city limits, reckless endangerment, animal cruelty, and/or a civil judgment for trespass to chattels. Even if you or your property were legitimately in danger, you could still face charges if you go about it in a stupid or risky way. All this is highly dependent on your career, of course. :rolleyes2

Well??...
If I was a Carpenter??

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A carpenter?! Aw hell nah, that is a productive line of work in the private sector. No special rules for you. If you shoot a dog under questionable circumstances, prepare to be strung up by your testes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom