I got a car/transmission question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's at the mechanic's so I'll talk to him tomorrow, but I thought someone might have an idea on what to expect...

This is a 2002 Honda Civic, my mother's car. I didn't drive it but this is what my sister described...

It ran okay almost all the way home, then it was like the transmission was slipping, "like it's in neutral" but the engine would rev up. Wouldn't pull enough to pull it up into the driveway.

I was getting dressed to go help her get it off the street when she called a few minutes later, I guess she had shut it off for a few minutes, started it, and it pulled okay up into the garage.

So we decided to try to get it to the mechanic's shop and leave it overnight (just a few blocks away)... it ran okay and she drove it there where I picked her up. She said apparently, if you shut it off for a few minutes, it will pull okay for a little while.

Every once in a while, the engine just surges on its own for a second or two.

I checked the fluid and I think the level is okay, it at least has some fluid in it (in park, idling).

Any ideas on what might be wrong, and whether the cost will likely exceed the value of the car?

Thanks,

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the years 98-02 are notorious for being bad trans,,,look on line,bad ,bad ,bad,,if u can find a trusted auto mechainic that works out of his/her garage,, and price is reasonable go ahead, but u will need a rebuilt torque converter too, if u have over 100K,, on the trans,,honda make the best engines ,but not trans,, next time try toyota..i have no idea what a trans overhaul will be, more likely more than car is worth,,auction cars are 300$, so if the rest of car is good (engine)and tag is good,and ac is good, u might get 400-500$ on craigslist,,

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would read the manual and double check the trans fluid. Almost sounds like a low trans fluid issues. If the cost exceeds the value then what is the value of the car. How old is your mother and, I hate to ask, but is your mom old enough to justify a new car? I mean, if she is not a "car person" and she is 80 years old does she really need a new or good used car or does it make sense to spend $1000 on a rebuilt trans?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would make more sense to spend a grand on a transmission, but I'd be surprised if you could do it for that, unless it's some simple thing like a stopped up filter or something. I forgot to mention the mileage, but I think it's like 110,000 or something like that.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
01-05 Civics are known for weak transmissions(madokie: 98-02 are accords which are just as bad). I have never been able to fix a slipping Honda Civic transmission, so I recommend replacing it instead of trying to fix it. You can get a JDM replacement with torque converter on eBay for $529 or down in Richardson, TX(JDMDepot) for around $400. A rebuilt transmission is not a good idea unless it is an OEM Honda Reman. FWD import transmission rebuilds hardly ever turn out reliable. They are fairly easy to replace. I don't know that the car is worth putting $1000 into, but if you do want to, I charge $400+ fluid to replace those transmissions.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll echo the sentiment of it sounding like low trans oil pressure. Do you know when the tranny oil was changed last?

Also, just a word of advice. If you go to replace said car, stay away from the newer honda's with CVT transmissions. They're garbage. I had a 2015 Accord, my mom currently has a 2014 CRV. The CVT transmissions don't allow the engines to really work through the RPM band, and the engines are built to such tight tolerances that once the oil gets dirty, they start burning oil as it gets past the rings. My 2015 Accord would burn 2 quarts of oil every 3k miles, and my moms CRV does similar. One time I put off changing the oil, as I was going to trade it in. Wanted to change the oil the week I went to trade it in, about 1500 miles past my typical 3-4k mile oil change. started the car up to go get the filter/oil, ended up being 4 quarts low on that 5 quart system. From what I have heard it isn't a case with non-CVT cars.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always change fluid and filter in the transmission when I get a car.
These front wheel drive vehicles get the trans fluid changed every other oil change or 6000 miles.
Yes I change the oil every 3000 not 3100 it is 3000 or sooner and I use good synthetics every time.
If I hear ticking during initial startup I change the brand of oil filter until I no longer get the ticking during start up.

You would think WIX brand would be best but in my testing it is not.
Now I get over 250,000 trouble free miles from all my stuff following those patterns.
I will second the CVT issue.

I have seen nothing but bad luck with those transmissions in the long run.
My 1995 Corolla has over 346,000 miles on it now struts and CV axles are a wear item for me but I am hard on my stuff with loading it to the snubbers and the off roading.

Filter and fluid change and go from there.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jim’s in Moore is one of the best, even after denting my Honda Accord wagon and denying it we have always referred people to him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom