I got the chineses virus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HJB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, I'm no doctor but I would like to share my experience to possibly help.

My pulmonologist doc and physical therapist have me trying to "exercise" while I am still on oxygen. The theory is creating a demand for my lungs to work so they rebound. My lower left lung won't inflate and I'm still on oxygen. I'm to use my pulse ox on my finger and keep it above 90 while I walk. I think it's working because I was able to use the restroom today without losing my breath. It's the small victories! I know you're tired and have little motivation but don't sit around in a chair all day. Move as much as you can without dropping your oxygen. Also, drink plenty of water because that is suppose to help by staying hydrated.

This "long haulers" crap is real. Just prepare yourself that its a long road to recover for some survivors. It's been a hard pill for me to swallow because pre-ICU I was a healthy non-smoking 53 yr old who went 90 miles per hour from 430am until 10pm. Now I'm lucky to walk outside for a few minutes and look at my dream car my wife bought me when I got out of the hospital.
Hope you get well soon. I think some of that may be related to Chinese Plague, but I think some of that is pretty normal recovery from some hospitalization occurrences. I know I had to work really hard to get my energy and lung capacity back after a heart attack being in the hospital for a quadruple bypass. I had a little gizmo that they had me use about 6 times a day if I can remember that you sucked in as hard as you can several times to try to re-expand your lungs that closed up during the surgery. And I had to get up and walk for 15 minutes at a time about 6 times every day. I just had a path through the house that I walked over and over. Definitely got me out of breath in the beginning.

So, keep working at it, keep your spirits up and I bet you can overcome all of this and get back to normal. I don't know how exactly this disease compares to bypass surgery, but I would say that in 6 months time I was about 60% to 70% and it probably was a full year to get back to 90%. I'm not sure I ever got better than 90% because there are sill things I can not do that I used to do without getting tired.

But look at the bright side. I have to worry about getting chinese plague and you probably don't !

Hang in there, and good luck !

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

My pulmonologist doc and physical therapist have me trying to "exercise" while I am still on oxygen. The theory is creating a demand for my lungs to work so they rebound. My lower left lung won't inflate and I'm still on oxygen. I'm to use my pulse ox on my finger and keep it above 90 while I walk. I think it's working because I was able to use the restroom today without losing my breath. It's the small victories! I know you're tired and have little motivation but don't sit around in a chair all day. Move as much as you can without dropping your oxygen. Also, drink plenty of water because that is suppose to help by staying hydrated.

This "long haulers" crap is real. Just prepare yourself that its a long road to recover for some survivors. It's been a hard pill for me to swallow because pre-ICU I was a healthy non-smoking 53 yr old who went 90 miles per hour from 430am until 10pm. Now I'm lucky to walk outside for a few minutes and look at my dream car my wife bought me when I got out of the hospital.

Glad you are getting through it. I’ve read in one or two places about blood type also playing a role in severity. Do mind sharing your blood type; if not publicly then by PM?

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

not much activity sets off a chain of coughing that I pass out from. it's been a nightmare . I hope you fully recover I'll be praying for you and all that have suffered this terrible virus

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It does. My premature grandsons (remember when the triplets were born??) had to be put on a vent when they were born. One of them had a stroke and died. The explanation was the increase in pressure was just too much for his immature vascular system and it caused a stroke and that was a fairly common occurance. The other 2 have some breathing problems, one worse than than than the other, but they both do okay.

I know I did not have any heart problems before all this crap, now I am on heart meds and my blood pressure rarely goes back to the 127/70 it use to run. Breathing is getting better but I still need O2 all the time. Main problem is one lung is only 50% and I am not expelling the carbon dioxide or whatever like I am suppose to.

I the bright side I can almost burp on demand. :P

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But look at the bright side. I have to worry about getting chinese plague and you probably don't !
I thought so too. Unfortunately the anti-bodies only last 90ish days and you can get it again. They say the second time is worse than the first.

Glad you are getting through it. I’ve read in one or two places about blood type also playing a role in severity. Do mind sharing your blood type; if not publicly then by PM?

A Negative. My wife didn't get sick and she is O Positive. One of the nurses in the ICU told me they had ZERO O positive patients.

not much activity sets off a chain of coughing that I pass out from. it's been a nightmare . I hope you fully recover I'll be praying for you and all that have suffered this terrible virus

I hope they sent you home with Combivent inhaler. If not, as your primary care provider for one.

HJB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought so too. Unfortunately the anti-bodies only last 90ish days and you can get it again. They say the second time is worse than the first.
That is the first time I have heard that. Who told you that ? Do you have that tested on a regular basis or what ?

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

A Negative. My wife didn't get sick and she is O Positive. One of the nurses in the ICU told me they had ZERO O positive patients.

I hope they sent you home with Combivent inhaler. If not, as your primary care provider for one.

Thank you. That follows what I have been reading. Again, hang in there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom