I had a run in with a CCW'er last night...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you over reacted due to your not having good communications with your partner, and your now playing it off like she was in the wrong.....

Thats messed up on your part...

What is messed up is a guy who wasn't there acting like a douche on this thread, as if he has any idea what he's talking about.

If it happens again, your stay here will be short.

Michael Brown

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is messed up is a guy who wasn't there acting like a douche on this thread, as if he has any idea what he's talking about.

If it happens again, your stay here will be short.

Michael Brown

The only one acting like a douche here (other than the OP) is you. He overreacted. He could have handled the situation far better than he did. Maybe if he is so scared he should find new employment.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry I dont agree with giving him a full pass on his major overreaction due to nothing. He could have handled this far better than drawing and waving his gun around.

How do you know he over-reacted?

What he describes is not knowing he was dealing with a CCW holder and in a few seconds he sees a gun.............

His life is important too and someone else's omission, legal or not, does not invalidate that.

His partner was involved in conversation and if you have ever been on a traffic stop, you would know that you may or may not hear what the other officer or the driver says from the other side of the car until you get closer and confer.

Thus it is NOT poor communication but rather one of the difficulties of a job.

That job is easier when the person an officer is contacting doesn't forget to mention that they are about to put their hand near a gun.

Your dismissive posts indicate that you have no idea what you are discussing.

Michael Brown

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thus it is NOT poor communication but rather one of the difficulties of a job.

I agree. I think in the end, all was well. I think that while the OP may or may not have been able to handle it better, he certainly could have handled it worse. It's definitely a learning experience for him, the driver, and all of us here.

This is why I sit with my hand on the wheel, window(s) rolled down, and before doing anything, I announce to the officer I have a SDA license and that I am carrying, and ask him or her what he or she would like me to do. If they tell me to get my license, etc., I tell them where pistol is and from where I am retrieving my wallet. No harm in being very clear and deliberate.

As to the gentleman in SC, I agree entirely with your assessment of the passenger attorney. While she may have no duty to notify you, I sure as heck may tell you what to expect behind the door to the glove box before I open it. Surprises are definitely not good in LEO contact.

deja

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now as Paul Harvey used to say...The rest of the story....When my partner asked for her driver's license and insurance unbeknownst to me the driver handed him a driver's license and a CCW permit and without pausing she went to go get her insurance verification that she keeps in the glove box...right next to her glock.

I have no idea she just gave my partner the CCW permit and I don't know if she is getting ready to get her insurance or pull a gun and start shooting. The reality of police contact with citizens is that we do not know what you are going to do. You could be the sweetest, nicest, cutest thing on the planet and we still don't know if your just standing there with a smile on your face and murder in you heart or if your are what you appear to be.
Honestly, just from what I have read, what I know from your account, it seems like this was a problem of communication between you and your partner. Instances like this are why more and more departments are avoiding having two officers approach a traffic stop, and in many cases why more agencies don't have people ride with partners at all.

Perhaps nothing could have been done to get that information to you fast enough, and certainly once the ball was rolling there's really no choice but to do what you did, but I think it's illustrative of why perhaps there should be a single point of contact only in a traffic stop and if there's backup, it should hang back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Instances like this are why more and more departments are avoiding having two officers approach a traffic stop, and in many cases why more agencies don't have people ride with partners at all.

Where did you possibly hear this?

That is completely backwards.

Cover officers SEEING things like what the OP described are exactly WHY two officers approach when possible.

Let's analyze your statement a little closer:

A police department will cut it's cover abilities by 50% on the off chance that there will be a mistake in communication for a tiny percentage of the population i.e. CCW holders who by definition are less likely to be contacted by the police in the first place?

No offense but I think you're completely out of your lane on this matter.

Michael Brown

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only one acting like a douche here (other than the OP) is you. He overreacted. He could have handled the situation far better than he did. Maybe if he is so scared he should find new employment.

Though I thank you for your opinion and respect your right to have one I respectfully think your way off base here.

Could I have handled it better...No...I handled it just as I was trained to do and acted well within my departments force continum.

My perpose in posting the incident was to help educate other LEO's who frequent the boards, Educate CCW holders who frequent the boards and to generate an adult debate and discusion on what happend.

You say I am scared...and I would tell you that I would be stupid not to be. The diffrence is I rule the fear it doesn't rule me. Sir, I have been spit on with blood by an AIDS carrier, assaulted by fist and foot, had knives pulled on me and Shot at and engaged in a gunfight, I've served search warrants on crack houses, meth houses, I've had cemicals from a meth lab thrown on me by a tweeking meth cook, entered into burning buildings to wake sleeping residents, and I do it all for people like you....I define my fear and not let it define me. So sir I say to you that yes I am scared, every day that I put on this uniform, vest and badge I am scared. I'm scared for what the night will bring, Im scared that my wife may be woken up by a knock on a door with someone telling her I'm dead, I'm scared that I may have to burry one of my partners and or watch them die.

Sir, I am scared and not ashamed because it is that fear that keeps me alive to serve people like you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom