I had an interesting night last night - no gas to the house

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in the garage all day still organizing my fastener supplies when I got hungry about 1700 and decided to wash up. Hmmm, no hot water. I let it run for about 3 minutes and still no hot water. I followed the steps to relight but there was no gas coming out. I checked the reset switch and it was in its normal state, N/C so I suspected the thermocouple. The water heater was installed about 5 years ago so it was probably not that either. Then it got cold outside and my HVAC heater was pumping out cold air. I checked with my next door neighbor to see if he had gas and he did.

Checking the bank account and seeing that ONG robbed it I called them and reported my outage. About 30 minutes later, the gas truck shows up and I explain what has happened. He walks to the backyard and sees our new line they were putting in all this summer was not hooked up to the meter. He asked me if this was newly installed. I replied, about 6 months ago. He shook his head.

He said Looks like you were missed when they hooked them all up. They killed the main line you were on today. We'll have you fixed in about 2 hours.

About 2300 hours we had water heating and warm air.

Many KUDOS to these fellows!

Last edited:

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems odd that they would kill the old line on a Saturday.... specifically because this could happen, and you'd rather not have to call someone out to deal with it on a weekend.

A "no gas" call without an explanation is considered an emergency order... just like a leak order. Glad they got you taken care of quickly.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think we might be in the same neighborhood, you must be in the northern part. Down here at the southern end they've not got to us yet. I dread the idea of them doing this during the cold winter.

It's terrible how they get peoples yards torn up, giant piles of dirt, big hole in the ground, and no one working.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of the issues we run into here at the gas company. Sometimes B&H does this kind of stuff. I’m sorry you had to go through it but am glad the tech got you fixed up.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we might be in the same neighborhood, you must be in the northern part. Down here at the southern end they've not got to us yet. I dread the idea of them doing this during the cold winter.

It's terrible how they get peoples yards torn up, giant piles of dirt, big hole in the ground, and no one working.
Bluff Creek

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is one of the issues we run into here at the gas company. Sometimes B&H does this kind of stuff. I’m sorry you had to go through it but am glad the tech got you fixed up.
B&H is the subcontrator that did all our lines. I have talked with them at length about which way they were going to get to my meter since I live on a corner lot. They did not use the existing easement the original gas line is they directional bored through a very narrow 2 foot area between my fence and my lean to shed.

All the other gas meters in my hood have been newly moved to the side of the houses. They are ugly and most are in the way of walking paths and sidewalks and trash bins. Mine had to be to the existing meter which is in my back yard behind the house. B&H and I came to that conclusion many, many times. I was making sure of that and was there the day they trenched to it. It wasn't enough that they had the easement of 15 feet which I carefully avoid when I do something back there, they trenched right through the middle of my backyard to get to the meter.

They went off the main instead of the branch that fed the street. It was one of the choices we had discussed but I thought they had discarded that idea until I saw them boring one morning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom