I hate being that "special person"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadkill Coyote

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
They probably have trouble getting new cashiers to remember to check IDs, so they put the responsibility for making sure the purchaser is of age on the folks at the counter. Then someone screws up and they start taking away the ability to exercise discretion, and you get people interpreting what this of that manager told them, and voila! Policy Soup, always the worst soup.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They don't even have a register at the gun counter at the Atwoods I frequent. Some ammo (shotgun is on shelf) and some ammo (rimfire, rifle and pistol) is behind the counter. They have a computer at the counter, possibly for background checks (I have not asked why).

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They probably have trouble getting new cashiers to remember to check IDs, so they put the responsibility for making sure the purchaser is of age on the folks at the counter. Then someone screws up and they start taking away the ability to exercise discretion, and you get people interpreting what this of that manager told them, and voila! Policy Soup, always the worst soup.
If their registers are anything like Walmart's, there's no excuse for forgetting to check ID. The computer pops up a "Is the customer 18?" question for rifle and shotgun ammo and a "Is the customer 21?" for pistol ammo. If it's .22, the computer first asks, "Is this for a rifle?" If you say yes, it defaults to the 18 question and if it's no, it defaults to the 21 question.

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never been to a place that made you be "special". Either you pick the ammo up and take it to the register, or just pay for it right there at the gun counter. Academy had shelves lined with ammo, which surprised me a bit. I'd figure they would have strict loss prevention measures for something like that.

I think it's a poor business practice to make a customer feel awkward or inconvenienced, though. I imagine that stores and pharmacies which keep their "prophylactics" in a glass case don't sell very many of those.

I bought a 10/22 at the Stillwater Atwoods earlier this year. Worst gun buying experience ever.
Story?

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took forever.

The kid at the gun counter had never done a gun transaction and had to find someone to walk him through it. I filled out the 4473 as I always do. They asked for a phone number, not part of the 4473. I declined. That threw them into a tailspin for some reason. Took 2 different calls up to managers or someone to even proceed without a phone number.
After the 4473 came back "proceed" they had issues matching the serial number on the gun with what was in their "inventory". Eventually, business at the gun counter was complete and I could pay and leave, or so I thought.
Everything was then moved to the service desk where we repeated the tailspin over the lack of a phone number. They eventually figured out how to ring up the transaction and take my money even without a phone number. It took another 10-15 minutes for them to locate the box and accessories that went with the rifle.
Their process was very disorganized and took entirely too long.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll ask next time. I met the manager of that department, and she allowed me to put business cards and flyers about the Ponca rifle and pistol club on the counter after talking to her.

She didn't realize this club has been here for around 50 years, and said she had people tell her they would like to buy a gun but had no where to shoot it. Now they know that is not the case.

I've been amazed at how many folks don't know this club exists, and the amazing range we have.

Never heard of it! If there aren't too many hoops to jump through I would love to sign up. Might even get pops and a cousin to jump on board.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never heard of it! If there aren't too many hoops to jump through I would love to sign up. Might even get pops and a cousin to jump on board.

Everything you need to join is on the website.
If you guys would like to visit and put an eyeball on the facility, just let me know. I can give the nickel tour about any time, and answer any questions.

http://poncarpc.org/

Latest posts

Top Bottom