I have a confession.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love the history of the John Browning stuff. There's a few good books and shows about it too.
I had the book of JMB's design of the BAR. Great reading and I offered it up to another member that I can't remember for free as a pass it on.
If that member reads this, and wants to pass it on, that would be very cool.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi powers are nice handguns. I've shot several but never owned one, except for the one a Australian warrant officer who was leaving Vietnam as I arrived gave to me with instructions to pass it on when I left. I did after carrying it for over a year. If I didn't like my SIG so much I might have one.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You Sir, have possible found the single greatest dilemma causing piece of weaponry known to man. I believe more gun relationships have broken up due to this piece (Browning HP) than any other. Sweet looking, kind to shoot, almost seems to understand what you want or need it to do for you and not too needy. The only downside I see is that she has a voracious appetite, or maybe that simply would be my need to feed her often and heavily.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya know what makes its appetite even worse? Having a bunch of mags for them.
Mine came with 8 mags when I got it and at 13 and 15 rounds each...you can load up and blaze through alot of ammo in a quickness at the range without having to stop and load the mags. At least 9mm is alot cheaper to shoot than .45!

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your black and silver Hi Power is called a "Practical". A highly desirable model of the BHP to be sure. The blued one looks to be an earlier model with the small military sights and small single-sided safety. The Practical is a MKIII variant, with much better sights (dove-tailed front and rear) and the preferred ambi safety. Hi Powers are fine guns (just ask the man who has owned 10 or 15 of them).

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah the old one is what I got first...a '64 model. I have since sold it and shoot the heck out of the Practical.
I still have a few parts I had bought for the 64 I need to sell (grips, new internal extractor).
The Practical came with a few C&S upgrades installed along with the factory parts in the C&S baggies.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds silly but I'll have to double check...but I believe it was a no-bite hammer, different safety and a trigger upgrade.
You'll have to update your photo then (everything I see in your pic is stock Hi Power stuff). They really are fantastic guns, and the Practical is one of the two or three or four Hi Powers I've sold that I would like to have back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom