I have a confession.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too, love my 1911s and find myself carrying one most often. I just shoot them better.

But I'm going to throw this out to you Hi Power gurus; I've never owned or even fired a Hi Po. I've always liked them, just never took the plunge. Part of the problem is I have a CZ 75 with manual safety and I keep asking myself if I need a Hi Power and the CZ, or are they so similar they occupy the same "ground", so to speak.

What say you?

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned a CZ-75 w/manual safety and many Hi Powers. The CZ was nice, but not Hi Power nice. The CZ is gone, and has stayed gone, while Hi Powers still come and go in my life like the seductive, unforgettable temptresses they are. I have less attractive guns for carry, but they do not have the allure of the Hi Power.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still want to carry the Hi Power once I get some sights and a good holster for it. Wear be damned these things are made to be used! :)
Gotcha! I did wear my various H-Ps concealed for about a year, but then I discovered HK's polymer framed pistols and haven't looked back. The Hi Power is a wonderful pistol. I'm not concerned about wear on the H-P, I just think the HK is a better carry gun.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too, love my 1911s and find myself carrying one most often. I just shoot them better.
Trust me, I go with a lot of new and older shooters to the range. Typically taking several of my guns in different calibers.
When they are all laying on the bench, and tell one of them to pick the one they like to shoot the best, the 1911 is hands down the favorite.
They think the .45 is going to tear them up with recoil vs the 9mm. They don't realize how soft the recoil of a .45ACP is, although we all know the .45 will take an arm or leg off with one shot.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Shoot what ya carry, carry what ya shoot" as they say. I really enjoy shooting it and have no desire to own poly guns. I know they're thinner and lighter and all that...but I'd never enjoy shooting one enough to be proficient with one. Thats why i started carrying a 1911...loved shooting it and could go to the range and swap mags from the defense rounds to ball and go for it...shoot then holster back up and go about my business.

I was in Tennessee with some family friends and we were running around all day and they wanted to go to the range that evening for some instruction. When we got to the range one of them asked where my gun was and I said I had it...then when we got to the firing line I pulled it out and they were shocked. "You've had that on you all day? Breakfast...at the store...at lunch...everywhere we've been today?" Yup...CONCEALED carry. "Wow, I had no idea!" Yeah thats kinda the point :D

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the sentiment, and I carried 1911s and H-Ps for most of a year, switching carry guns between those models on a whim. I also surfed the 1911 forum in those days, read and commented upon the various problems people were having with their H-Ps and 1911s, and, somehow, in the meantime, acquired an HK P7. You could surf "The Cult of the P7" to see what problems people were having with that gun, but I'll save you the trouble--it gets hot when firing several mags in rapid succession. Otherwise, they just run. Same with the P2000 and P2000sk. They just run, with boring, Germanic monotony. That's why I carried the P7 for five years, and the P2000/P2Ksk for the past year and counting. They are boringly reliable. I love the H-P, but keep on hand recoil springs and extractor springs just in case. For my HKs, I just buy magazines. Don't get me wrong--I'd rather shoot a H-P at the range than most anything else, but for carry, it's HK all the way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom