I have a non sbs/sbs question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I really like some of the A5 riot gun setups I've been seeing around (looking at you @Shadowrider). So my question is if I pick one up that has a 4 inch cutts comp on it, can I have the barrel cut to 14.x inches then have the cutts comp permanently attached to bring it back over 18 inches? Or would that be an sbs/aow/DD? I figure if an AR can have a 14.5 inch barrel with a permanently attached 1.5 inch break and still be legal wouldn't this also?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think so. I'm curious what the experts say if there's a difference in rules between the two (I also never understood why the lengths were different but trying to make sense of gun laws is a totally different convo).

I like your plan...this type of mod is on my bucket list. Love me some A5.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over the years I repaired many barrels that were "damaged" and thus too short.
My rule was "Don't bring me the whole gun" just the barrel and I would repair it.
That would keep me from being in possession of an unregistered sbs.
The repair must be permanent and non-removable (welded) as per BATFE.
If you go with something like a cutts or polychoke just make sure its 18"+ with the screwable end piece removed.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
short barrel with Cutts Compensator to make it 18.jpg

THIS! Just make sure the oal of the barrel with comp is over 18

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW, to measure barrel length, close the bolt, drop a dowel down the muzzle end, mark it at the end of the barrel and measure from there to the bolt face. That is what ATF considers barrel length. As stated above, anything not permanently attached does not count as barrel length.

Latest posts

Top Bottom