I have never had so much trouble with an AR upper before.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Bought a new AR Stoner punch set the other day from MidwayUSA so I could change a handguard cap out on my Palmetto complete AR upper. Wanted to run Magpul and it had the triangular cap and needed to switch to round. Anyways...

Before anyone says anything yes I was going the correct way. Go to knock the pins out and these mofos will not knock out. I only got one out and the other one seemed like it was pressed in. Couldn’t get it to budge. Bent every punch I had. I said screw it and decided I’m just gonna go the free float route.

Few days go by and my Free float comes in from MidwayUSA. Decide today’s the day I’m gonna tackle this pain in my ass. Get my cutting wheel on my grinder and go to town on that front sight block. I go down to where the pin is and you can’t even see the line where pin meets metal. This sucker is tight. Almost as if it’s one piece with the front sight block. After awhile I finally get it cut off. Phew...

Next is the original barrel nut. I go to put the upper in my armorers vice block, and it will not budge! I go ahead and give the armorers wrench a little tap with a hammer and BAM! My vice block broke in half. POS plastic...

Now the upper is sitting in a box till I can get more tools ordered.

rant over..

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what kind of block broke? clam shell that wraps around upper ? = correct
or one piece that fits magwell? = not correct
or something else?
aluminum blocks with half circles work best around barrel for stubborn beatings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom