I have tonsillitis...again. (gross story but no photos)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So Thursday I woke up with a mildly sore throat. Didn't effect eating, drinking, sleeping or breathing so I ignored it. It got a little bit worse Friday afternoon, of course after the doctor is closed.
Went to urgent care yesterday morning with one tonsil swollen enough to be able to touch my uvula, and they want to swab for strep and mono and I'm just like....can I get some antibiotics and 800mg ibuprofen?
They still swabbed for everything they could charge me for and sent cultures off (72 hour wait). Negative on mono and strep.
Last night was hell on earth.
Wake up and it's even more swollen, and covered with white lumps.
Having extreme difficulty eating, drinking, and sleeping. Can't seem to regulate body temperature.
I was either way too hot or way too cold. Been in bed or on couch pretty much since yesterday morning.
Have any of y'all had your tonsils removed AS AN ADULT? I've heard it's way worse to go thru a tonsillectomy as an adult but it can't be worse than what I'm going through now, can it?
If this spreads to my other tonsil like it did last time it was this bad (in 2007) I may very well be hospitalized on IVs.
In 07, I was bedridden for 21 days. I lost my job and 74 pounds. I tested positive for strep, mono, and tonsillitis back then.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About the only advice I can give that isn't prescription is a cool mist humidifier (ultrasonic). It can help with the swelling, somewhat, but you really need to deal with whatever infection is causing all this. Did they prescribe anything? Also, yeah having tonsils out as an adult is an ordeal, but it sounds like you need it. When this is over, go see an ENT (ear nose and throat doc).

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^ go see a ENT and tell him you want them out.

Adenoids are probably already shrunken enough to effectively be gone.

Wouldn’t matter how much it hurt to have them out, if I could find a cutter that would do it I’d have them out. Mine came out at about 10 yo. I had strep 3-4 times a year.

Girlfriends adult daughter just had hers out at 19 yo. She had strep 6-8 times a year. Why they weren’t taken out at the first opportunity I couldn’t tell ya. Goofy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom