I have tonsillitis...again. (gross story but no photos)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was hospitalized due to severe strep that could have killed me when I was 20 right before thanksgiving.
I had them taken out a day or two after the spring semester let out. Took about three weeks before recovering mostly. I slept 20-22 hrs a day since the pain was terrible and it hurt to be awake.
But I haven’t had strep since. The problem from what I understand is that every time you get strep it can create pockets from the infection that leave you more prone to get it again and again. Since the bad bacteria and viruses can bury themselves in there and multiply before your body finds them and goes to work.
I’d schedule to get them out and take a few weeks to recover.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was the thing to do in the 60s, get them tonsils out even if you ain't sick. My brother and I had it done the same day. We were 5 and 6 years old then.
Yep, my sister and I went in on the buddy plan. She didn't want her ice cream though.....so I ate it too.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So Thursday I woke up with a mildly sore throat. Didn't effect eating, drinking, sleeping or breathing so I ignored it. It got a little bit worse Friday afternoon, of course after the doctor is closed.
Went to urgent care yesterday morning with one tonsil swollen enough to be able to touch my uvula, and they want to swab for strep and mono and I'm just like....can I get some antibiotics and 800mg ibuprofen?
They still swabbed for everything they could charge me for and sent cultures off (72 hour wait). Negative on mono and strep.
Last night was hell on earth.
Wake up and it's even more swollen, and covered with white lumps.
Having extreme difficulty eating, drinking, and sleeping. Can't seem to regulate body temperature.
I was either way too hot or way too cold. Been in bed or on couch pretty much since yesterday morning.
Have any of y'all had your tonsils removed AS AN ADULT? I've heard it's way worse to go thru a tonsillectomy as an adult but it can't be worse than what I'm going through now, can it?
If this spreads to my other tonsil like it did last time it was this bad (in 2007) I may very well be hospitalized on IVs.
In 07, I was bedridden for 21 days. I lost my job and 74 pounds. I tested positive for strep, mono, and tonsillitis back then.
It sounds like you need to get the tonsils out no matter what. If it were me, I couldn’t afford to risk reliving your current situation every few years.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So Thursday I woke up with a mildly sore throat. Didn't effect eating, drinking, sleeping or breathing so I ignored it. It got a little bit worse Friday afternoon, of course after the doctor is closed.
Went to urgent care yesterday morning with one tonsil swollen enough to be able to touch my uvula, and they want to swab for strep and mono and I'm just like....can I get some antibiotics and 800mg ibuprofen?
They still swabbed for everything they could charge me for and sent cultures off (72 hour wait). Negative on mono and strep.
Last night was hell on earth.
Wake up and it's even more swollen, and covered with white lumps.
Having extreme difficulty eating, drinking, and sleeping. Can't seem to regulate body temperature.
I was either way too hot or way too cold. Been in bed or on couch pretty much since yesterday morning.
Have any of y'all had your tonsils removed AS AN ADULT? I've heard it's way worse to go thru a tonsillectomy as an adult but it can't be worse than what I'm going through now, can it?
If this spreads to my other tonsil like it did last time it was this bad (in 2007) I may very well be hospitalized on IVs.
In 07, I was bedridden for 21 days. I lost my job and 74 pounds. I tested positive for strep, mono, and tonsillitis back then.

I’d go to the er and have them removed. It’s far better than getting nasty infections over and over. Had two coworkers that had them removed as adults and an in-law. They all wished they would have done it sooner. Yes, they all said it sucked. It felt like bad strep throat as a kid.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had mine removed at age 21. 43+ years ago, remember a rough week or two afterwards. Post surgery pain wasn’t overly intense. I can pass along a little hint about two healing wounds inside your throat, don’t lay on the floor, on your stomach, reading a book, with a pillow wadded up under you, pressuring your throat. That ruptures wounds open, caused me to spit more blood in the bathroom sink, than I’d ever seen before. Scared my young, dumb ass. It quit bleeding, never happened again. Was more careful from then on. Whatever you decide is best for you, I wish you luck. Hang tough.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was the thing to do in the 60s, get them tonsils out even if you ain't sick. My brother and I had it done the same day. We were 5 and 6 years old then.

Exactly the experience my sister and I had in the early 60s. My daughter, however, didn't have hers removed until she was in college and it was quite the ordeal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom